Airy Shaker hut area

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I toally agree, ignorance isn't an excuse when you're in the backcountry. I've had people take me into areas that were too close to park land for my liking. People that grew up riding here and should know better, but some people have zero respect, and could care less. Now I check to make sure I'm not anywhere I shouldn't be when I'm riding new areas. The maps are an excellent resource...

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI :Airy Cr drainage and Russel Lake are not in either clubs riding area, that being said I have asked about signs in question last year and there is no official agreement between the Slocan Valley Snowmobile Association and the ski/hikers who use that area. There is however a loose gentleman agreement that some (local sledders) not SVSA have to avoid the Airy Cr. area until Jan as it is used by many ski touring people. The Shakers cabin was built by skiers/hikers around late 70's early 80's. As for the snow-cat operation (Valhalla Powdercats) previously owned by Lindsey Hoyt that tried to set up shop in the whole area including Russel Lake with several deliberate distasteful interactions and threatfull actions with both local skiers and sledders led to them getting a strong unified and justified response :) This was a first that local skiers & sledders unified against a cat ski operation which led to them moving out of that area then selling the business. I should also note that the Airy Cr drainage is a local watershed/supply and poking around that bee's nest will most probably result in a full closure to any motorized use. Please be smart people.

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
* I should double check on the date I noted as Jan w/local skiers there. I dont want to stir the brew on a public forum with inacurate info, apologies.

KrazyCanadian

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
krazycanadian.com
I don't know who this one eyed Willie is, and I was told about some things being stolen from Tandys truck. The Ladybird cabin was also built in the late 70 early 80's . It was the skiiers cabin but then abandoned because of the increased technology and frequent sled use... I spoke to one fellow that used the shakers hut last yr. he was a regular and new the history of Shakers Hut and who built it... He didn't mind sleds taveling through, but rather hated sleds ski touring up and down tearing up all the ski and sled terrain... I grew up riding an area called Rossland Range, Collage creek to Mackie to Neptune and Bugle Bowl. now Big Red Cats operates a Snowcat skiing operation in the area and claim it's there's, but I was sledding in the area since 82 and now for the last 5 yrs they call it there tenured area and ask sledders and skiiers to stay away.... It's crown land and can be accessed by me or them but they can only legally guide anyone in this tenured area... The Airy mtn area has been sledded in since the mid 90's and sliied for much longer, there is also a cabin in the Russel lake area.... Lots of snow for everyone.... We all need to get a grip and stop complaining... The mtns are awesome, Canada is free and wild... lets stop the signs and attacks. Sorry willly but you can ski where ever you'd like. I don't care and I'll try not upsetting you or your group..

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got some crucial feedback from the Rec Officer today, and nothing official up in Airy, although I don't mind respecting other people's right to fresh pow... Lots of places to ride up here where skiers can't get too!!! Also the gov sent me some really groovy maps for the area and links to rec sites that have snowmobiling terrain all mapped out. I'd be happy to share if anyone is intereseted :)

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
FYI :Airy Cr drainage and Russel Lake are not in either clubs riding area, that being said I have asked about signs in question last year and there is no official agreement between the Slocan Valley Snowmobile Association and the ski/hikers who use that area. There is however a loose gentleman agreement that some (local sledders) not SVSA have to avoid the Airy Cr. area until Jan as it is used by many ski touring people. The Shakers cabin was built by skiers/hikers around late 70's early 80's. As for the snow-cat operation (Valhalla Powdercats) previously owned by Lindsey Hoyt that tried to set up shop in the whole area including Russel Lake with several deliberate distasteful interactions and threatfull actions with both local skiers and sledders led to them getting a strong unified and justified response :) This was a first that local skiers & sledders unified against a cat ski operation which led to them moving out of that area then selling the business. I should also note that the Airy Cr drainage is a local watershed/supply and poking around that bee's nest will most probably result in a full closure to any motorized use. Please be smart people.

Good to hear that cooperation between sledders and skiers resulted in public land staying public. Not sure what Airy ck being a watershed has to do with staying out of there on sled, Ladybird/Norns (as well as many others) is the watershed that supplies water to Robson/Raspberry and I believe many Passcreek residents. Shoudn't stop motorized use but definitely a reason to be careful with spills/pollution. If motorized use in watersheds was an issue there would be no logging in BC. :D

ratatatat

Reaction score
I'm guessing the rec area and mapped sled terrain is Grizzly which is SVSA country. Good to see this one stayed polite with a good sharing of information. The kootenay way. Not like the revy ski area thread. Man I can't believe the mods are leaving that up. Posting names and pictures...... yikes!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
although I don't mind respecting other people's right to fresh pow... Lots of places to ride up here where skiers can't get too!!!

I don't mind respecting handshake agreements or terrain where skiers traditionally tour either, that being said... skiers can get up through the lumber where sleds can't. You don't need a road to access ski terrain.

Johnny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that cooperation between sledders and skiers resulted in public land staying public. Not sure what Airy ck being a watershed has to do with staying out of there on sled, Ladybird/Norns (as well as many others) is the watershed that supplies water to Robson/Raspberry and I believe many Passcreek residents. Shoudn't stop motorized use but definitely a reason to be careful with spills/pollution. If motorized use in watersheds was an issue there would be no logging in BC. :D
That would seem to make sense to me also, but things in that neck of the woods are a bit different, there are several environmental activists/protection groups based out of the area. They have some lean with government as lobbyists at a provincial level, and it seems logical to work with not against other back county users that have a passion for the mountains like us. This isnt always achievable with the radical types but most folks are good with some compromise. Ive sledded in the area for around 15 years and Im aware that 98 % of the skiers use sleds to access higher elevation, back in the day I was thanked for putting in the access by skiers riding Tundra's now they have M-8's,Pro RMK's & Xp's also. I would like to add that the Shaker hut most probably would have burned down from the zero maintenance on the stove and stove-pipe that was rotten. Some local sledder friends bought and hauled up (all day event on sleds) then installed in their cabin as a warm fuzzy towards the skiers for the appreciation of compromise and respectful communication. As for the shake fisting haters up there, you might not want to be below me in the spring.

Top Bottom