Aircraft Manufacturing Facility coming to Alberta?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be some much needed diversification coming to the Alberta Economy. De Havilland Canada has proposed a new manufacturing facility for the Q400 regional turboprop, DHC 515 water bomber, and DHC-6 Twin Otter east of Calgary in Wheatland County. After it was determined that finding the land for new production facilities in the Greater Toronto Area was not economically viable, the decision was made to locate production near Calgary,

Dash-Q400_web.jpg

1300-cl-515-yellow-red-water-dump-ver-b-flat-2.jpg

Viking-DHC-6-400-TwinOtter_Aeropedia-The-Encyclopedia-of-Aircraft-1170x570.jpg

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, it’s happening..?
Huge industrial development between Strathmore and Chestermere south of Hwy #1. Already a few businesses there…
This could be a huge boost for the area and AB !!!

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Huge industrial development between Strathmore and Chestermere south of Hwy #1. Already a few businesses there…
The turd will shut it down. After all these thing burn fossil fuel. can't be having that and furthermore it would be in direct competion with Bombardier.

Last edited:

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a great business prospective and hope they do it. Only down side is better hope numb nutz doesn' t try and kill this venture with ridiculous taxes/such, fawk the feds. #Alberta Strong:)

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
None of these planes are in competition with anything Bombardier is currently producing, Bombardier currently focuses on private jets. The Q400 and DHC-515 (formerly Bombardier 415) were previously produced by Bombardier and we're sold to De Havilland, Bombardier couldn't turn a profit on them. Just like the C-Series jet line up that Bombardier developed with taxpayer dollars and then sold the program to Airbus (our tax dollars did design a pretty wicked plane though, I got to fly on a Swiss Air A220 this summer).

I hope Alberta becomes the Texas of Canada in this respect, many businesses have left left wing states (particularly California) for the greener pastures of Texas. Hopefully this is the beginning of a long list of companies that ditch the east and head west to Alberta.

Last edited:

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Your correct, this is old news. They have been developing the land for the last year. Warren buffet (CP) is trying to put in a large train shipping yard out by Indus. He’s asked the city of Calgary to annex more land from Rockyview and the city said no!! So now CP is in negotiations with Rockyview. Havilland, will have a direct rail line going to their shop, for their parts out of the States.
Once CP gets the land and starts on their intermodal yard and new lines, then Havilland will be going into building production as well.

I was vise president of Shepard Community Association for a few years. We talked about this at every monthly meeting and what the impacts would be for Shepard residential and commercial.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
None of these planes are in competition with anything Bombardier is currently producing, Bombardier currently focuses on private jets. The Q400 and DHC-515 (formerly Bombardier 415) were previously produced by Bombardier and we're sold to De Havilland, Bombardier couldn't turn a profit on them. Just like the C-Series jet line up that Bombardier developed with taxpayer dollars and then sold the program to Airbus (our tax dollars did design a pretty wicked plane though, I got to fly on a Swiss Air A220 this summer).

I hope Alberta becomes the Texas of Canada in this respect, many businesses have left left wing states (particularly California) for the greener pastures of Texas. Hopefully this is the beginning of a long list of companies that ditch the east and head west to Alberta.
I realize dthat they don't manufacture the same class of plane but the turd is so stupid that he wouldn't. I too hope that Alberta becomes the Texas of Canada.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They’ll force them to hire refugees at a large % and there will be massive quality control issues and they will fail. It’s what our $hithole does, if it even comes to fruition anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Reading the report, it stated a “diverse” workforce…. That’s NE Calgary..!!!
I’m sure there will be bus loads commute to site each day from the city…

Thinking positive here boys…
I’m not much for changing our western culture, but this could be a very big deal for AB/Calgary….

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wheatland County is open for business. Look at the large industrial businesses west of Carseland on hwy 24.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They’ll force them to hire refugees at a large % and there will be massive quality control issues and they will fail. It’s what our $hithole does, if it even comes to fruition anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well if you think they are going to fill the factories full of farm boys and girls, think again.
And FYI, most parts get built overseas already by this same diverse group anyway.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be some much needed diversification coming to the Alberta Economy. De Havilland Canada has proposed a new manufacturing facility for the Q400 regional turboprop, DHC 515 water bomber, and DHC-6 Twin Otter east of Calgary in Wheatland County. After it was determined that finding the land for new production facilities in the Greater Toronto Area was not economically viable, the decision was made to locate production near Calgary,

Dash-Q400_web.jpg

1300-cl-515-yellow-red-water-dump-ver-b-flat-2.jpg

Viking-DHC-6-400-TwinOtter_Aeropedia-The-Encyclopedia-of-Aircraft-1170x570.jpg
Old news, they already hired a bunch of people and are building a facility in Calgary area. Good deal for Alberta as they moved the operation from out east

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well if you think they are going to fill the factories full of farm boys and girls, think again.
And FYI, most parts get built overseas already by this same diverse group anyway.
Probably crappy factory pay but I think it would be cool as hell to build water bombers for a bit

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
Probably crappy factory pay but I think it would be cool as hell to build water bombers for a bit
would be cool to have the understanding of how they are assembled, and operate for sure.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would bet it will be a union shop with wages comparable to auto industry.

If I was betting, I'd say the move out west was more about getting away from the union than land prices in Toronto.

Those Unions in Ontario are fawked, and are a huge part of the reason the auto industry made such a huge exodus out of Canada to Mexico and back to the US.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If I was betting, I'd say the move out west was more about getting away from the union than land prices in Toronto.

Those Unions in Ontario are fawked, and are a huge part of the reason the auto industry made such a huge exodus out of Canada to Mexico and back to the US.
That's possible for sure

Top Bottom