Air/Fuel ratio tuning

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has ever used a just a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge for engine tuning?

I came across an E-bay ad for a company in Florida selling this "chip" you placed in line that tuned your engine to exaclty 14.7. Cool, but sounded hokey. I see Koso sells a gauge.

Garryese

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have used a gauge as a tuning aide, but would not depend on it for much more than confirming what you already suspect. Quite useful if used with a dyno.

Keep in mind that 14.7 is the mathematical correct ratio based on 100% effeciency in mixing the fuel/air charge which is not going to happen in the real world.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Garryese. The A/F gauge is more of a conformation tool. I would use plug color and piston wash as the gospil.

TABSTER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A little Tuning 411

Attachments

• sparkplugchart.gif
    sparkplugchart.gif
    78.3 KB · Views: 264
  • pistonwash.gif
    pistonwash.gif
    40.1 KB · Views: 260

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much the answer I thought I would get, but figured I would ask.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has ever used a just a wideband air/fuel ratio gauge for engine tuning?

I came across an E-bay ad for a company in Florida selling this "chip" you placed in line that tuned your engine to exaclty 14.7. Cool, but sounded hokey. I see Koso sells a gauge.

Koso gauge is pricey and I have had trouble for two seasons with my Koso EGTs. You're better off to get an Autometer or some other automotive type of A/F gauge and rectifier (if you need one). Koso's displays are some of the best for "readability" (compared to some others like Westach's) but they are quite a bit more expensive.

I think you meant 14.7:1 ratio. Yes, they are good for tuning, better for tuning than an EGT IMO, A/F ratio is a more scientific approach than EGT's since it is less likely to be influenced by engine factors and probe placement (EGT's are more prone to this than A/F), less "false positives".

As stated, always confirm with plug and wash reading. Once you have determined the baseline settings for your sled, your EGT and A/F readings are relative to the baseline setting and are your reference point for knowing where the max values are.

Here is a good read on baseline setting
DigatronTech

Some good plug reading tips and photos

Piston Reading
Plug Reading Spark Plugs
SparkPlugs
[media]http://tsrsoftware.com/images/read_plugs-tsr_software.jpg[/media]

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great answer.

Plug reading and piston wash are not a problem. A few life lessons taught me those. I thought the A/F gauge might be an interesting adder to the mix. When tuning last year I found a couple situations where the sled was good, however when I tried to lean it up a little the sled felt underpowered. Wash and plugs looked even better but again, power was down. It's that fine line or "edge" that was mentioned earlier. I know EGT's can play with your head like that.

Top Bottom