Air Bags

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
looking at putting air bags on My '12 3500 Dodge SRW truck. what are you guys running and list of pro's and con's.

Thanks in advance for any positive feedback.

I no longer have springs on the rear axle. All air ride and it is great.

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had the firestone ride rite air bags on several trucks....just use them for the intended purpose...load leveling.....seen to many people using them as extra suspension...

I even put them on our Dodge 1 Ton dually....only need 25 lbs to bring it up to level with the camper and trailer, but it's sure nice riding level.....

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run Firestone bags in my 2500 GMC I run them at 23 psi with a 8ft Northern Lite camper and it rides close to stock height. Run 3 psi empty. Pretty sure the manual specified 3 psi minimum. No problem in the last 4 years at 3 psi and it rides close to stock height and ride.

Last edited:

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your probably right. I probably made up the 3 PSI in my mind as I don't like my head lights pointing down with no load. Usually don't read the manual till something go's wrong . Should be OK with lower pressure as long as there is no leaks. I think if the bag is flat and you carry a load they could chafe. What does happen if there left flat I don't see a pinch point?
I think the manual says 5psi minimum... I always ran less than 3psi empty

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I think they're more worried about the bags with nothing in them, if stretched, without air in them, could damage themselves. They would be sucked into themselves....

HILCLMR

Reaction score
Years ago I had AirRide bags on my 2003 2500 quad cab......roughest ride ever! unless loaded with sleds on the deck or the 5th hooked up.
Then went with Carli long travel bags in my 08 3500, and swapped them to my 12 3500 dually, absolutely no noticeable change in ride when empty! They ride so nice loaded and unloaded, pricey though.
My $0.02

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your probably right. I probably made up the 3 PSI in my mind as I don't like my head lights pointing down with no load. Usually don't read the manual till something go's wrong . Should be OK with lower pressure as long as there is no leaks. I think if the bag is flat and you carry a load they could chafe. What does happen if there left flat I don't see a pinch point?

Or run cradles ! I tie up my bags with zip ties until I need them for the trailer, which is 4x a year. I also put air brake line fluid in too to keep bags lubed.

Director

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought firestone airbags with a compressor from Fort Garry Industries for my 14' F350. Controller is mounted by my knee for easy access and i can adjust pressure on the fly as required. Empty i run a couple pounds to keep some pressure on the bags and it slightly improves the ride quality. Sleds on the deck i run about 20-25psi, sled trailer is similar at 25-30psi and with the 5th wheel loaded down i'm up around 55-60psi. Nice part about the compressor and adjustability on the fly is i depending on how many sleds or water i have on board the camper just dial in when driving.. Find if they are just under inflated when towing the trailer can buck, too much and it bounces, find the sweet spot and GTG.

Top Bottom