Ahtabasca dunes road

gmac

Reaction score
Doing a job in the Windfall area and on my way out I see a sign "Athabasca dunes road" can anybody elaborate on this road / area as far as 4 wheelers / snowmobiles are concerned.

Fallen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the windfall area is but the only Athabasca sand dunes I know of are located in the "Richardson Backcountry" locally known as "Six Lakes" north of Fort McMurray. You access this by the Fort Chip winter road. You Are allowed on this road in the summer time with ATV'S/UtV's. It is closed to ON highway vehicles in the summer. There are 2 sets of sand dunes in this area. One you are allowed to ride on(the smaller dune) , and the second (the larger one) you are NOT allowed to ride on and have to walk into. Lots of lakes with camping areas to tent at with fire pits and out houses. There is also a lake in that area called "Pearson" where you can rent a fishing lodge. www.pearsonlakelodge.com check it out.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its just an oilfield/ haul road. The ground in there is sandy and there are a few trails but nothing special. I hunt in that area alot as it is close to town and good for a quick walk and hunt in the evening. The athabasca dunes road goes west until it meets another road that runs north and south. North takes you to highway 43 and south takes you to a gravel pit which is active again as of this year. There are some trails in that area but they are limited as that area is between the athabasca river and highway 43 so there isn't much terrain

Top Bottom