Aftermarket pistons for 800R?

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so its time to install new pistions in my 2008. should i go with stock BRP pistons or an after market piston? RK Tech, Wiseco or some other manufacture??? any thoughts? mostly stock sled that is used for boon docking and mild hill climbing.

TPOWER

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Every one will have a different opinion, i dont believe in the wiesco in the sleds unless you are dilegent in letting sled warm up properly on every start up, We have had 2 sets fail within 1000 kms in the last 2 years but i will say they werent propperly warmed up all the time. As for stock they are only a single ring and expensive, i personally dont mind the stock pistons at all. Kore on here is selling the new MCB kits with moly coated rings that are suppose to last the life of the pistons for $350 i believe this includes everything bearings, gasgets, I am about to put a set in one of our sleds, i havent heard anything bad about them, i have no experience with them due to we usually have catosrophic engine failure so we usually go with a new shortblock. But im sure a few people will pipe in and give you there experiences, good luck.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya actually i have a set here in the garage. Came with his "drop in kit" seem like a decent piston.

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They actually wont be getting installed anytime soon. Long story. I have had them for a couple years and ended up going big bore before i had a chance to put in the RKT pistons. I have a SHR big bore which is a RKT head with big john's porting and cat pistons. One day tough i will get some use out of them.

robhayward

Reaction score
I put the drop in kit in last year. Nice looking pistons. I do believe they have milled some weight off compared to stock. As for installation I can't say there is any difference than a stock unit. And as for performance I can't support any increase claims but I am sure I did not lose any power. It runs exactly like before with one difference in that it doesn't heat soak on long runs and back to back. -Dual ring benefit!

Reaction score
I installed the RK Tech dual ringers before last season in my XRS and it ran strong all season long! They come with caged wrist pin bearings that makes installation fairly easy.

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put the drop in kit in last year. Nice looking pistons. I do believe they have milled some weight off compared to stock. As for installation I can't say there is any difference than a stock unit. And as for performance I can't support any increase claims but I am sure I did not lose any power. It runs exactly like before with one difference in that it doesn't heat soak on long runs and back to back. -Dual ring benefit!

thanks for the info.... good to know.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Read in the new Snow Tech magazine that doo has a updated piston for the 800r. Same piston as the etech or something. Any DOO guy has more info please? Thanks

Mr.Plow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if dual ring is such a "hot" thing BRP would be running them

With bean counters its a cost issue. if a single ring gets the motor past the warenty periord then its good enough. Good enough is not good enough for me thats all.

TheMuffinMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if dual ring is such a "hot" thing BRP would be running them

Not so sure about that. Everyone knows an oil squirter on the crank bearings instead of isoflex grease would be the best thing BRP could do to their motors, yet they've been doing it that way for years. Can't sell new sleds if your old ones last forever right?

Top Bottom