advice for purchasing used

finndoo

Reaction score
A buddy of mine will soon be looking to buy a used XP. There are several in our group including mine so we are familiar with the sleds. What I am wondering is when checking compression is it better to do it cold or when the engine has been run for a while. I am planning on checking the compression on our other sleds with one gauge to compare and will use the same gauge when checking the one for sale. I realize that elevation can change the reading but hopefully the elevations should be close or within a 1000 feet when checking all sleds. Also how would you feel if someone asked to take the TRA off and checking out the internals if you had a sled for sale assuming that he brought a puller,clutch holding tool, forks for the buttons, and torque wrench or possibly even take the y-pipe off to take a look at the pistons. I know it is buyer beware but I am hoping to help my buddy get a clean used sled not an abused, worn out money pit. Thanks guys :beer:

MATTIAC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Me personally I probably wouldn't want someoneComing in my garage and ripping apart my sled on them possibly buying it. I don't represent the general public. Usually by asking questions you can read between the lines as to how the sled has been maintained and driven. Like I said this is only my opinion.

hughie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Compression test is pretty standard when buyin a sled I think, do it cold, the rest I would probably tell u to go fly a kite, I dont hav time to sit around while u dismantle my sled and then the y pipe doesnt reseal properly and I hav a leak later on, stuff like that, but thats just me. U can tell alot by takin a look at the sled and the general condition of it, whether its been bagged and abused, and u can tell alot more by havin a look around the guys garage while u r there lookin at the sled and seein if he's one of those guys that takes care of his stuff and has a little pride in ownership or just doesnt give a crap, and make a judgement call from there

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with mattiac. I wouldnt want someone coming to my place taking my sled apart just for their satisfaction. A compression test and a test ride I'm fine with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatguy1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear what your saying buddy!, it would be nice to do a real good going over when looking to buy a used sled, but like the other guys have said Who has the time to sit around and wait for this dismantling process to happen?

Then what would happen if you started putting the Y-pipe back on and cross-threaded a bolt or dropped it under the motor or whatever, who's responsible now? The compression test is a must and I wouldn't buy a sled from anyone that doesn't want/allow you to perform such a test.

Just my two cents, all the best in your search!

finndoo

Reaction score
Good point on the possibility of things going wrong when taking thing apart. I would not consider purchase without a compression check and I agree there are very good indicators from other things they guy has or says. I was just wondering how far people are comfortable with. For me i would not let the Y-pipe come off, compression check no prob and I think if there was a deal pending with price I would take the clutch off myself for their inspection. Maybe I have more free time then others but I do hear where your coming from and respect that. Thanks guys. Is the compression best done cold ?

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you do check compression when the motor is cold. If you dont know the spec I'm sure the doo guys will fill you in soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just sold my quad, and if they wanted to tear apart the quad I would have given them the one finger wave and leave. Compression is good to check out on used though. Give it a good check, if you are a normal toy rider you should be able to see conditions of abuse (keep in mind it is a toy) and you should be ok. GL with the sled

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Would say there is the sled take it and ride it how your going to ride it then decide if it needs a compression check other than that take a hike.

Top Bottom