acne....and any one with skin troubles

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to pass on a bit of info for any parents or younger readers that are having skin problems. I have a 11 year old son that was headed for a real disaster with acne. None of the over the counter meds would touch the problem. I took him to a dermatoligest by the name of Dr Gordon Searles in Edmonton, who prescribed Acutane for two months It worked miracals. His face looks so much better
The over the counter stuff like Pro active or oxyclean are a waste of money for serious cases.
Keep in mind this can be a dangerous drug with the potential for severe side effects. but has worked wonders for my son.

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotts..... this is really a great post. Thanks. My wife and I are going through a few issues with our 13 year old son experienceing the acne thing? Not fun to say the least. Glad to hear that yur son is seeing some positive results! Tough time for the little dudes???

JaySimon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got hammered with acne as a younger dude. I (or my parents) weren't too into accutane due to potential side effects. I changed my diet and some of my habits and saw good results. Firstly, I drank tons of water. Secondly I was more conscious as to when I touched my face and made an effort to wash my hands and face super regularly. I did use an acne soap of some variety to wash my face as well, so it wasn't all without some heavier equipment, but it worked for me.

Just some cheap, easy ways that might help.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotty.
If your son is any thing like mine was i really urge you to take a serious look at this drug. I was under the impression before that serious acne was pretty much untreatable but that is far from the case.My son was on the road to having deep scaring that would last a life time but in the course of three months now has almost perfect skin.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In my youth I too had a slight issue. Accutane was presented to me but scared the chit out of me due to the side effects. Like mentioned, keeping my hands away from my face and diet were big fixes. I recently saw a program that said a simple solution of vinegar and water works well to get rid of some of the bacteria that cause the problem. No rubbing, no over drying soaps/cleansers, no hands on face, no greasy foods and so on. Really tough on kids...I feel their pain. Just keep letting them know that one day when it passes they will be as handsome as yourself....or maybe not.:)

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
I know it's an old thread, but does anyone else have anything to say about accutane?

Had 2 of my daughters on it, worked wonders. Skin was flawless.... Younger daughter plays rep soccer, and is on the field up to 6 nights a week. She kept complaining of stomach pains. We had here checked and rechecked by the same doctor that prescribed the acutaine. Could never find an issue. Blood tests and everything...next our oldest started having stomach pains that also had no solution. Blood tests for her too. We were stumped and scared about what was going on. Never did anyone including the doctor suggest it could be the acutaine. We finally took them both to a western healing doctor. Within minutes he claimed my younger daughters liver was about to shut down and the other daughter was also having liver and kidney issues. We, not being huge believers in 'witch doctors' took his prescribed medicines and headed back to our reg doctor and had him rerun the blood tests. The tests shows major liver damage in both girls now that they were looking for it. We no longer go to the regular doctor lol...

The witch doctor has changed their diets, excluding certain foods and instructed them to use natural cleansers and all is fine. Faces are clear, liver and kidney issues are resolved and we feel we really dodged a bullet here. Stay away from acutane.

Carrots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had 2 of my daughters on it, worked wonders. Skin was flawless.... Younger daughter plays rep soccer, and is on the field up to 6 nights a week. She kept complaining of stomach pains. We had here checked and rechecked by the same doctor that prescribed the acutaine. Could never find an issue. Blood tests and everything...next our oldest started having stomach pains that also had no solution. Blood tests for her too. We were stumped and scared about what was going on. Never did anyone including the doctor suggest it could be the acutaine. We finally took them both to a western healing doctor. Within minutes he claimed my younger daughters liver was about to shut down and the other daughter was also having liver and kidney issues. We, not being huge believers in 'witch doctors' took his prescribed medicines and headed back to our reg doctor and had him rerun the blood tests. The tests shows major liver damage in both girls now that they were looking for it. We no longer go to the regular doctor lol...

The witch doctor has changed their diets, excluding certain foods and instructed them to use natural cleansers and all is fine. Faces are clear, liver and kidney issues are resolved and we feel we really dodged a bullet here. Stay away from acutane.

Wow that's crazy. I never touch any prescription drugs, there all a bunch a bull chit with nasty side effects. All natural stuff is the way to go

Sent from a iPhone

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I did the whole dermitologist thing as a teen, was never perscribed meds but the advice from the doctor included lots of water (as previously stated), avoiding greesy foods, stay away from anything caramel/cocco based (dark pop, chocolate), keeping your hands clean and avoiding toching your face is big... I used Ivory soap and it would remove oils and almost dry out my skin, which at that stage of my life was a blessing..... the most important advise is not to pick at it, acne sucks but 98% of people grow out of it and it will greatly lessen if not go away all together scars from picking at it however will remain for life....

Been there done that but in the big picture it is a short term inconvinience.....

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Acne is one of the cruelst things the gods could have possibly done to adolecets. I took Accutane as a teen and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone in good health. I wasn't able to do the full three month cycle because it dried my skin too badly and I was starting to get regular nose bleeds (something I'd never had in my life other than when taking Accutane).

I guess there are all kinds of doctors out there just like any other profession. My advice here is that you make sure you have a doctor you can trust and make sure you go in for blood work at the recommended intervals. Also, even more so than any other drug, I'd probably think twice if it was prescribed for an extended period of time (more than 2-4 months). You'll probably want to avoid any other acne related drugs or vitamins containing vitamin A while taking Accutane.

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It has been proven that sugary stuff suck as chocolate and pop does now effect acne, although drinking plenty of water defiantly helps.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
All I know is what worked for me.... I was told it's not the sugar, it's the fact that cocco/caramel thickin the oils in your skin... but this was also 25 years ago...

It has been proven that sugary stuff suck as chocolate and pop does now effect acne, although drinking plenty of water defiantly helps.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
My son was actually prescribed an antibiotic to deal with his acne and it worked wonders. I can't think of the name now, he is no longer on it. Getting old sucks!!!!

Jan

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i too was on Accutane in my late teens for 3 months it is VERY harsh as stated and painful at times because it dries up ALL your skin. after being on this i found that my skin it cut anywhere would and still does not heal fast at all. i can say i would never put my daughter on this. I have always used proactive to maintain a balance i find myself that stress is a major factor and
for others it is very hormonal for both men and women and will change as we age. the sad thing is some people never totally grow out of it. its really important as stated above not to touch or pick this is very hard but is a good habit to get into. also carry hand sanitizer more so for kids in school being they all lean on there desks to hold there head up lol therefore touching there faces! also keep finger nails short we all know how much Bactria is under them. there are anti biotics that do work as well

my daughter is 11 and has this issue i don't want her on meds at this point, i stress all the things mentioned and also got her a RX for a toning solution it is calledclin/neostrata it is a liquid that she applies with a cotton ball. she had it all over her back, poor thing and with in the month of using this it has all cleared up but i do know this will be an uphill battle for a few yrs yet...hope this helps good luck!

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All I know is what worked for me.... I was told it's not the sugar, it's the fact that cocco/caramel thickin the oils in your skin... but this was also 25 years ago...

Oh ok, all I know is that once your on accutane you don't have to worry about what you eat because your body has next to no oil left on it.

rocketron

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did the Acutane thing when i was in my teens, as others have stated it was a horrible ordeal. It seemed to make it worse. Major scarring on my back from it.

lbartels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had bad skin from grade 6 to grade 10. I'm 25 now. About the time the acne should have been at it worst I gave up. Said screw it all. All the washes and crap helped, a bit. But nothing worth the plastic container it came in. I lived outside, only slept inside, sometimes not. Just realized it wasn't worth worrying about. That`s the way it was going to be. Just tell the guy to practice all the typical stuff to help. Everyone's ideas worked for me.

Or show it to him the way it really is. bad skin or scarring doesn`t mean a thing. Get him on the phone, the guy can chat up anyone I`m sure. Once people see the person he is the rest won`t matter.

just my rambing thoughts about it.

Top Bottom