AC 500EFI

fastrack

Reaction score
Can anyone help out a newbie?

I got a great deal on a 99 AC Powder Special 500 EFI (136'' track) at the beginning of the season with hopes of giving to my wife to ride next year and get myself into an 800 next season. It looks like I am going to be happy with what I bought for myself a little longer than I originally hoped. So I want to wake this machine up for trail riding, ditch banging and crusin on the lake. I've started with V-force III reeds, but need some help with clutching, pipes/cans, and big wheel kits.

Sorry for being such a newbie, but I really could use some help so I get the best bang for my buck. This is what I had in mind.
Clutching
Upgrade my stock secondary with the heel clicker conversion kit and springs/weights for my primary (6 tower). However, when looking for heel clicker weights, they all appear to be to heavy. Suggestions? D&D? SpeedwerxÉ otherÉ

Exhaust
Nothing unless I have to.

Can
Interested in "The Thing"

Big Wheel Kits
No thoughts yet. I need advice on what this upgrade does.

Gearing
Everything is stock. What would dropping a tooth on the bottom gear do?

Ideally I want this sled to launch, get 3-4 lengths on my buddy who is on his 700 wildcat and make him run me down if he has the guts.:D

GRD

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. Lots of guys that know lots of stuff... Hopefully you get some advice.

BIGFOOT

Reaction score
Welcome 'fastrack' to Snow and Mud. Some of the Cat folks will help ya out with some of those things.... But don't know bout kicking yer buds arse, Those 700 wildcats got some good getup and go !.... Enjoy the site & post yourself on the member map if you care to. :)

snotterite

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell us why you think you need clutch work? Not familiar with these 2 machines but inorder to get 3-4 lengths and lay some smack down, with a 500 over a 700 I think you will need more than reeds and a pipe can combo.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell us why you think you need clutch work? Not familiar with these 2 machines but inorder to get 3-4 lengths and lay some smack down, with a 500 over a 700 I think you will need more than reeds and a pipe can combo.

Can you say INTERNAL MODS;)

fastrack

Reaction score
I was looking to start with the clutch because, as it currently rides, the machine engages at ~4200rpm. "Take off" is anything but exhilerating. I can't even leave a respectable pile of snow. So I was thinking that my springs have seen there better days. On another note, the moveable sheave on my secondary has a broken post/tower. Threaded end sheared right off when I was opening it up to advance the spring position from the third hole.:mad:

Thanks for the replys.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Being it's the 500 there really is not much your going to be able to do this machine. If it was the 600 there is more room for improvement. Single best thing you can do is clutch the sled properly. Either a kit from a reputable aftermarket or find a dealer who can give you good tips on proven setups for this sled. Make sure your clutches are aligned properly, clean and that you have a good belt with deflection set properly. Also make sure the pins, weight bushings and thrust washers in your primary are in good shape. A can on the 500 likely won't improve anything either, other than make it louder, and might even hurt the 500 performance. You are not going to put the smack down on your buddies 700. Gearing down might help you on the bottom end, but you will lose top end.

Just my opinion, but you would be better off saving your money and puting into the next sled.

You may want to look into and EPI clutch kit (either through EPI directly or Royal Distributing). If they use their Belly Buster weights in the 500 kit, that might help your 500 with take off. Belly Buster weights have mass cutout from underneath at the beginning of the shift. This will allow your sled to shift out faster at the beginning. D&D was good for the Cats back in that time frame as well. You may want to call them. Heelclickers would be very expensive and I think leave you disappointed.

cat girl

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don's Speed Parts in Wainwright does the D&D thing. Must say I agree with ZRrrr though :) Why not just enjoy the 500 and go past your friends when they are stuck!!! Those wildcats are tanks... but thats just this girls 2cents :) OH and if anyone asks I will NEVER admit I said that any kind of cat is a TANK LOL

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put 5000 plus miles on a '98 ZR600 which I bought new and kept it pretty much stock with the exception to the primary and secondary springs and some fine tuning. It performed better than other 6oo's that were "clutched" including a friends '98 ZR 600 with Heal Clickers in the primary, it was a dog in comparison to my stock set up.

Don't waste your money on experimenting on your 500... save it and spend it on the next sled. :)

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with Scotty and ZRrr. I had a 98 Powder Special 600 aarb and when the machine was in tune ( clutch alinged and center to center was in spec, fresh plugs, fresh belt etc) it ran great as a stock machine. From a standing start the best hole shot was when the suspension was set up stiff to prevent the skis from lifting and get the most power going forward. Your 500 is a lot lighter than his 700 and your only hope is off th line. His 700 will run you down after the first 100 yards. The best improvement I did was a D & D air box lid ( better air flow ) and fresh stock clutch springs. Spending more than $ 100 to $150 to do any uipgrading is not worth it. Good luck

Top Bottom