A Must Read

sledhead2010

Reaction score
A direct quote from this document to give everyone a better idea what this document is about: "A partnership should develop between the snowmobile manufacturers and the CAC in order to establish a concerted effort to promote avalanche safety and prevent snowmobile‐related fatalities."

kjb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow, quite a read. I didn't notice any recommendations on closures or fines to users in the back country during periods of elevated hazard, that's a good sign. Talk of having to insure our sleds bites. Here are a few quotes i found interesting:

"The Panel heard that the combination of complex terrain and difficult
avalanche conditions, which formed the backdrop of many of the incidents from last season,
represented challenges beyond the skills and training obtained through the AST courses.
The Panel was of the opinion that the CAC should develop a competency matrix to help AST
students understand the limits of their training."

"While recognizing that any training must place emphasis
on avalanche avoidance in the first place, the Panel also acknowledged that it is critical for
all recreationists to develop solid companion rescue skills."

"The Panel learned that the back country skiing community collectively went through lengthy
awareness‐building before it could reduce its fatality numbers. The snowmobiling
community appears to be at the beginning of this process. Snowmobile clubs have an
opportunity to contribute to shortening of this deadly learning curve by partnering with the
CAC."
17 years ago i did my CAA level 1 avalanche course which was pretty intensive, 6 days and nights in a back country lodge. That was quite humbling. That course was the norm for anyone who wanted to go play in avy terrain. Now this AST course seems to be more popular. I thought the 6 day course was just an eye opener. I have a hard time understanding how some people think this AST is all you need to go out and play in avy terrain safely. Let alone the people who have no formal training. An avy course and logging a serious # of days in the mountains playing conservatively with knowledgable and experienced people is what people need to be doing.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding how some people think this AST is all you need to go out and play in avy terrain safely. Let alone the people who have no formal training. An avy course and logging a serious # of days in the mountains playing conservatively with knowledgable and experienced people is what people need to be doing.

Sadly I agree with you. The AST1 course is very basic.

The biggest thing people need to know are 1) Conditions, 2) Safest areas to play. Put the two together and come out with a simple decision.

You don't need a ton of avy training to play safe, but you have to have the grey matter to know when and when not to play on the slopes.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sadly I agree with you. The AST1 course is very basic.

The biggest thing people need to know are 1) Conditions, 2) Safest areas to play. Put the two together and come out with a simple decision.

You don't need a ton of avy training to play safe, but you have to have the grey matter to know when and when not to play on the slopes.

yup ast 1 just scratchs the surface, good instructors can really add to the content.

i would change #2 to knowing where "not" to play when the snowpack is iffy.

my group spent alot of time during the field day discussing the apsects we were at and others we could see for good line choices, runout zones, safe zones etc.

ski touring has really changed the way i look at the terrain.

Top Bottom