A message to all Snow & Mudders. Be safe out there. my season was just cut short.

Destroyer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Re: A message to all Snow & Mudders. Be safe out there. my season was just cut short.

Holy Crap man glad you are pulling through O.K. You look like a young whipper snapper, don't sell that sled just yet. I think you will heal up fast enough to get a few rides in. May not be able ride as hard as you would like but you will squeeze that flipper!

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
Re: A message to all Snow & Mudders. Be safe out there. my season was just cut short.

I hit a brake drum last year and found out I could fly like superman. Just wish I could land like him. Luckily I was just a little beat up and minor sled damage.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The mountains aren't immune to this either. Around here, and in the West koots as well they mark all their culverts with a piece of rebar driven into the ground. Dangerous as hell! We bend 'em over in the summer but we never get 'em all, and they've actually been straightening them out on us lately too. We stay out of the ditches on FSR's just for that reason.

Speedy recovery!

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com

Glad your okay and it is so important for people like yourself to let others know as this will save someone else...to a speedy recovery for you and back on the sled as soon as possible! cheers dave

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Glad to hear your going to heal and recover ! I love ditches and bang around 4-5000 km per year. I almost always ride alone too. Ive Had many close calls and have been lucky a few times. I Hit a Downed telephone pole on the big end at around 50 mph. The Front skis touched the ground a good 80' away from where I hit. One time I hit a semi steering tire while carving. My Nytro sub frame was done after that and i had two sprained wrists. Last weekend I hit a rock the size of 2-5 gallon gas cans In a ditch I quad and sled monthly. It was by the train tressel at the sangudo turn off and hwy 16. It must have come off a trailer at some point. Thank god I had just bumped it and didn't toast my freeride. I think I am careful but I definitely ride fast and the hazards are always there due to minimal snow here. I also go back and remove or dig and expose hazards for other sledders. But I can't mark them all!

Safe sledding everyone !

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

wow, heal up soon dude. I can't begin to add up all the damage I've done early season ditch riding since I was a kid, enough that I gave it up years ago. my last ditch incident was in '01....a 70+ mph wipeout in the ditch along highway 2 between Peace River and Grimshaw racing cars like an idiot. it was a frozen dead moose covered in snow. I got some major airtime and did not stick the landing. bent the sled a bit, and totally fawked my shoulder.

ABDoo800

Reaction score

Glad to hear you are going to be okay.

Thank you for sharing your story as it is a good wake up call for all of us to be more aware when riding.

A Tek Vest is on my must buy list for my first ride this year.

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The mountains aren't immune to this either. Around here, and in the West koots as well they mark all their culverts with a piece of rebar driven into the ground. Dangerous as hell! We bend 'em over in the summer but we never get 'em all, and they've actually been straightening them out on us lately too. We stay out of the ditches on FSR's just for that reason.

Speedy recovery!

Around Pemberton they do the same thing, mark the culverts with rebar. I use to pull them out an through them in the ditch , I phoned forestry about it too. now I pull them out and take them home with me. Always find a use for some rebar!

dropitbuster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Hope you heal up and get a few rides in before the season is over.

I consider my Tekvest just as important as my helmet. I'm sure it's saved me from broken ribs and/or internal injuries at least a half dozen times. Everyone should wear one.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

hope you get well soon. guys and gals carry a roll of survey ribbon its small and great for marking hazards be it in the ditch or big rocks in the mountains. just tie it to the top of a tree limb.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Get well bud, I can sympathize with you as I broke my collar bone in July and just got back on the quad beginning of November. Hope you heal quick and well. Got to get back on that horse!
I just bought a new chest and back protector from Riverside yamaha, 79 bucks so they are relatively inexpensive and I know that the thing protected me in my accident (broken collar bone was much better than a broken shoulder). Cheap insurance I would say.

Last edited:

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Yup ... heal up bud! ..its a bummer forsure... Just like Kelly said... ^^^ kinda like my accident at the rodeo a year and a bit ago.. stars flew me in to Edmonton.. broke my collar bone too ( plated with 9 screws ) collapsed my right lung and broke two ribs on the right side.. also my tire ripped my arm up quite a bit too.. it sucks when these things happen... mine happened in September and I was riding at xmas last year... mine was a quad accident

QuintinG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Heal up soon bud. Girlfriend had an innocent quad accident on a gravel road and had similar injuries as yourself. We've both bought vests for quadding and sledding since

Old-Soul

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I just bought a new chest and back protector from Riverside yamaha, 79 bucks so they are relatively inexpensive and I know that the thing protected me in my accident (broken collar bone was much better than a broken shoulder). Cheap insurance I would say.

After I hit a creek in Quartz last winter (imagine that) and smashed my chest into the handlebars I really started thinking about picking one up.

ASSAULTrmk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Get well soon gabe that really sucks u won't be riding this year but at least ur ok :)

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Since we are talking about safety what can a guy wear to project the upper body that works with a back pack. I always wear a chest protector quading. I tried a klim tec vest with my Avy pack but couldn't do it. So uncomfortable. Is there a better option that works well with a Avy pack ?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Since we are talking about safety what can a guy wear to project the upper body that works with a back pack. I always wear a chest protector quading. I tried a klim tec vest with my Avy pack but couldn't do it. So uncomfortable. Is there a better option that works well with a Avy pack ?

Snow pulse vest? I think you can add padding to them!

SKDeuce

Reaction score

Has anyone tried anything like the Thor Impact Rig for sledding? I tried out my brothers under a hoodie for riding the street bike around and it seemed pretty comfy.

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

thanks for the heads up and heal quik ...

buddy bought a brand new SxS with all the extras this summer and was ripping thru the long grass in the ditch that he has been riding all his life. a farmer moved rocks out of the field and into the ditch a month earlier. the right front wheel was smashed up into the passenger foot well and SxS rolled a few times. yes there was a passenger in to too. ditches kinda scare me

Top Bottom