A better camera??

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ContourROAM2 debuts in red, blue, green and black garb, shoots 1080p video for $199 on October 21 -- Engadget

The Contour+2 may well be the best digital action camcorder on the market (though Sony and GoProwould beg to differ), but the company knows not everyone wants a $400 shooter to capture their epic runs this ski season. Thus, Contour has introduced the ROAM2, a $199 model that records 1080p 30fps and 720p 60fps video on its included 4GB microSD card. Like the original Roam, it can capture clips up to one meter underwater without an external case, has a 270-degree rotating lens and a laser level to line up your shots. This new Roam, however, sports improved image quality and an aluminum skin of four colors: black, red and blue will be widely available, and green models can be had exclusively from Amazon through the end of the year (other retailers will carry it in 2013). Want one? Best Buy and other retailers will start selling them on October 21st.

Justin_sane

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My brother has a contour, we didnt like it as much as the gopro, it as much grainier than the go pro. Hopefully the newer one is an improvement, I would love to have the go pro quality without the go pro price! lol

Cartel

Reaction score
There is a reason that GoPro was chosen as one of the (many) cameras to record Felix's jump from space.

If you don't know what I am talking about my words won't explain it with any justice, google Redbull Stratos for a video of a skydive from space that breaks the speed of sound...

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a reason that GoPro was chosen as one of the (many) cameras to record Felix's jump from space.

If you don't know what I am talking about my words won't explain it with any justice, google Redbull Stratos for a video of a skydive from space that breaks the speed of sound...

Perhaps gopro sponsored some of the jump...

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks nice but I like to have everything in one package. I don't want to carry my phone sledding. One more thing to worry about with battery life and beacon interference. All apps have bugs, requires fixes and updates and do not stay free forever.
I'll stick with my Drift. I can't say anything about other manufacturers but Drift has great customer service

I've always wondered... What are you supposed to point the laser at when your out riding?

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Navy Seal Team 6 used Go Pro's on the mission to take down Bin Laden. Only the best for Obama for those crystal clear satellite transmissions from the other side of the world. Just sayn.....

chadwik74

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
7E75FF14-5DF7-41E0-A9F3-444B61ACE21B-1423-000002270A9A6BA4.jpg

Bisch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand the laser level for the outdoor use. I TOTALLY get it for stationary or attached to something to ensure you don't have any angles that look bad.

Looks nice but I like to have everything in one package. I don't want to carry my phone sledding. One more thing to worry about with battery life and beacon interference. All apps have bugs, requires fixes and updates and do not stay free forever.
I'll stick with my Drift. I can't say anything about other manufacturers but Drift has great customer service

I've always wondered... What are you supposed to point the laser at when your out riding?

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Finally a new version of tech is out and i'm in the market. Hero 3 pre-ordered
Looks good, but I will wait until I can fondle one in the store...the original GP was a cheesy POS. Best part about them is the case and the mounting system. Hopefully the new camera shows better quality.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks good, but I will wait until I can fondle one in the store...the original GP was a cheesy POS. Best part about them is the case and the mounting system. Hopefully the new camera shows better quality.

I agree I've got the original gopro and it is pretty cheap. Hero 3 looks pretty good though!

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Also I wonder about the wifi system on the Hero3 and how it could interfere with the beacons

dirtbiker77

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honesty i owned a contour and i wont again... i loved it at first. racing motocross was perfect for it. it was tough and at the time i liked it better then my friends gopro. but it soon wore off when i brought it into the sled world. its metal....with lithium battery. thing dies like mad, it would freeze up cause its unprotected as itself. i will be going gopro route cause i think they made huge progress with the hero2 and i will be putting the hero3 to a test. i am sold with gopro due to the mounts. the camera is designed to work with mounts all over the place. my contour was a pain in the a$$, didnt seem to have any good mount spots that worked and was always akward to get a working spot that could capture the full picture.

Slim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honesty i owned a contour and i wont again... i loved it at first. racing motocross was perfect for it. it was tough and at the time i liked it better then my friends gopro. but it soon wore off when i brought it into the sled world. its metal....with lithium battery. thing dies like mad, it would freeze up cause its unprotected as itself. i will be going gopro route cause i think they made huge progress with the hero2 and i will be putting the hero3 to a test. i am sold with gopro due to the mounts. the camera is designed to work with mounts all over the place. my contour was a pain in the a$$, didnt seem to have any good mount spots that worked and was always akward to get a working spot that could capture the full picture.

GO with the DRIFT HD. I bought one going out on a limb and its a dream compared to my gopro which does die constantly, you have to carry 6 packs of batteries for one day! with the drift you can get a 4hr extended battery which in reality would probably last 3hrs on the hill. but two of those, and two 32gb sd cards and you'll be set. I recommend getting the larger SD cards or you'll be deleting movies to free up space constantly, no matter what camera you get. looks, feels, and operates seamlessly. Drift - Professional Action Cameras

Oh, and i loved it so much, the next week i called them and said i wanted to become a dealer. So if you're interested let me know since ive been approved and have 3 kits left in stock :) Im selling them on promotion as a new dealer for $360 with next day shipping anywhere in Alberta included, and im covering the taxes as well. :) PM me if you have any questions. Or call 780-898-8090

Josh

Last edited:
Top Bottom