A-arms - Go aftermarket front end or buy a single stock one?

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bent the lower right a-arm, to the point to the spindle is moved back about an inch or so. My thoughts are this:

Buy one OEM lower for $200 or re-do all the a-arms with Zbros or Holz? Looks like a full set of either is about 500'ish. Is going aftermarket a good idea? Is it a substantial weight savings, strength increase, and also, does it change the geometry at all?

Just wondering if anyone has done this and if its worth it!

These stock a-arms seem to be made out of tin....

Kranked

Reaction score
It didnt take long before I bent one of my stock a-arms. Cant remember ever hitting anything too hard. Replaced all of them with the Holz and been running them for a three years now and havnt bent one yet. I dont know if theres any real weight savings, they did feel a little lighter than stock but I would say they are stronger.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the info. 2 for 1 makes more sense. They are going to get bent at some point, the lowers at least. Probably be a summer project. Thanks!

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i can attest to them being lighter, stronger no. if they where any stronger what you think will break (bend) first. yes the tunnel. now you face replacing a tunnel or a A-arm. which would you prefer? which is cheaper. i like light weight, but if you bend an aftermarket a-arm you may wait awhile to get a replacement, stock you can have one that day or in a few days. i like lite weight but i also like to ride and not wait on parts. it is totally up to you. you are the one living with your decision. aftermarket i'd suggest buying two of each.

hope this helps

Kranked

Reaction score
i can attest to them being lighter, stronger no. if they where any stronger what you think will break (bend) first. yes the tunnel. now you face replacing a tunnel or a A-arm. which would you prefer? which is cheaper. i like light weight, but if you bend an aftermarket a-arm you may wait awhile to get a replacement, stock you can have one that day or in a few days. i like lite weight but i also like to ride and not wait on parts. it is totally up to you. you are the one living with your decision. aftermarket i'd suggest buying two of each.

hope this helps

The stock a-arms on this sled seemed too weak than what they should be. Ive heard a few people complain about it. A person would defently want the a-arms to bend or break before the bulkhead but how often do you want to be replacing the a-arms. The aftermarket might not be stronger maybe they just have improved the weak spots on the stock ones if that even makes sense. You could be replacing the stock a-arms every season or aftermarket ones once every couple years, I dont know. From my experence with the Holz, I am happy I went with them.

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's a fine line alright, but if the a arms don't bend something else will, usually something you don't want, and way more expensive. u make the choice, upon what you can live with. usually there is a built in failure rate, yes pain in the azz fixing front end parts, usually you can get factory parts much easier and for much longer than aftermarketfor the same sled. welcome to the balancing act.

Sparky's

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3000 miles before I bent a stock arm! I use them to plow over trees every ride. Nothing wrong with the stock ones. If you twist a bulk head on the IQ it's pretty much a wright off. The easy bending stock arms ill take

Top Bottom