98 summit x driveshaft bearing removal?

Fordx4ing

Reaction score
Hello need some advice.

I'm trying to replace the drive shaft bearing by the speedo housing on my gf's 98 summit x 670 and can't get what's left of the bearing off.

Any help would be great. :confused:

Thanks Bryan

Attachments

• summit x bearing.jpg
    summit x bearing.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 100

skidewrr

Reaction score
Not much left of that bearing, you have to remove the drive axle and then heat the whats left of the bearing and press off, sometimes a careful and experience welder can torch that off and not affect the drive axle. Good luck.

Fordx4ing

Reaction score
Alright, got it off and the thing back together. I was able to get it off with a puller without removing the driveshaft. A lot quicker that way. ;)

Does the '98 Summit X not have a drain for the chaincase or does the cover have to come off to change the oil? I didn't see a plug in the tunnel. My '02Cat has one. :confused:

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright, got it off and the thing back together. I was able to get it off with a puller without removing the driveshaft. A lot quicker that way. ;)

Does the '98 Summit X not have a drain for the chaincase or does the cover have to come off to change the oil? I didn't see a plug in the tunnel. My '02Cat has one. :confused:

No drain, paper towel !! I picked up a large syringe from peavymart and put a piece of tubing on it to suck most of the oil out of the dipstick hole.

Top Bottom