98 ski doo 670x clutch

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 98 summit 670x and i am trying to take apart the clutch. the only video I found on the net is this one.[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mfgu-uyhqY[/media]
I was wondering if my stock clutch with buttons is similar. does anyone have a video or some photos what the buttons look like and how to change them. I was also wondering if anyone else has run into a helix that was hard to move. I made a clutch compressor,but the sheave and helix don't seem to want to move to release the snap ring. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or maybe just need to force it a little more.

rmktime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not sure theres a guy in kelowna hes listed in the castanet@ca sight he has a lot of manuels hes selling from doo to cats to polaris if your looking for a manuel he has it lol mine starting to stick open not looking forward to doing mine, think ill get the hole piece replace it lol good luck

timbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have to give sheave 1/4 turn to open it up then use compressor to push helix down.
you can spray wd-40 to lube it,just make sure it is clean and dry on reassemble.
note what position spring is in,example c-6 or b-4. sounds like shaft is rusted and helix won't move on it.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have to give sheave 1/4 turn to open it up then use compressor to push helix down.
you can spray wd-40 to lube it,just make sure it is clean and dry on reassemble.
note what position spring is in,example c-6 or b-4. sounds like shaft is rusted and helix won't move on it.

Thanks that could be it. I am going to soak it good with brake clean and maybe give it a few good taps with a hammer see if i can get it to move.

my mod

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They can be a little sticky when dirty and even more if they are cold. Just turn the shive a 1/4 turn or more and push down hard. Sometimes when they are dirty I take a rubber hammer and give it a gentle tap right on the helix to losen it up.

reaper020

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I did it I finally got the clutch apart. had to make up a c shaped plate and use a press to get the helix to move butI finally got it apart. lot of rust build up on the shaft. cleaned it up with 600 grit looks pretty good now. I was wondering what the buttons look like when you should replace them. Mine looked like there was 3/4 left to where, but there was a burred edge where the helix doesn't rub. I was also wondering about the spring is there a measurment for how longit should be. I had a friend say that if both ends of the spring don't line up then it needs to be changed. If thats true then mine is worn because there is about an inch diffrenece off center. The sheave does move apart now but it takes to people to turn and pull it apart with alot of force???

rmktime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
you have it all apart now might as well put all new parts on while its apart , once did that myself thought it should be good now went for a ride and was pulled home

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Ya, for the few bucks of each button, and maybe even check out a new spring(probably the original spring),;) it would be worth changing while you have it apart........

Top Bottom