97 Mountain Max ski's.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My borther and I picked up a 1997 Mountain Max with only 41km on it in November and it's been a great sled.The original owner had installed light weight trailing arms,2" track,tripple pipes etc, and never used it.We got a great deal on it but my bro has one concern,he can't steer it in anything deeper the 3" of snow.It still has the orginal steel bridged ski's with plastic liners(which already have craks and pieces missing) that work good on the trail but suck in anything deeper.I'm a Doo guy and don't know what works on this vintage of Yammy.Any ideas would be great.

Attachments

• April 911-14.jpg
    April 911-14.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Lean lean and lean some more. They are a tankish sled and when u do get them turning they decide all on there own to still go the other way all of a sudden. Sell it to me and that will fix ur turning issue.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya I am awair of the lean,lean and lean somemore.My brothers a small guy and is not as agressive a rider as I.I've riddin the machine and I can tell you the thing is a beast to turn at times.It was not what he was orginally looking for but when the deal came along,basically brand new and cheap,we couldn't pass it up.It's been a great machine other than that.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Yes They are hard to throw around. I got a 97 700 as well although mines 100% stock yet. Been thinking of trying a set of Simmons skis for it and a riser so I can more effectively stand while riding. I've seen skis out there that have mount offset to one side, so one can flip skis side to side depending on whether one wants a narrow or wide stance. Can try that.

Sent from my iPhone because dial-up sucks!

snowdad4

Reaction score
any yamaha skis 98 and up will fit that sled. they are the saddle types with the full plastic bottoms. usually found used fairly cheap. you could even watch for some from the mtn 4 strokes. you will need the mounting hardware(bolts ans spacers).

if its hard to turn, it could be as simple as adjusting the suspension as well as the front shocks. i dont recall having turning issues with the stock skis back in the day. simmons would be a good upgrade as are the slp powder pros, if you want to spend the money.

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input.He has the suspension set up where he likes it and it didn't make any difference.Was thinking of trying to get a set 0f 2000 vintage and trying them.There is a wrecker in Carstairs that I know that has some for $60.00.

snowdad4

Reaction score
one thing to watch for on the oem skis-they made two different styles. the mtn sleds from 98-01 used a ski that was the same width all the way. the short track and trail sleds had a tapered ski.

i would suggest finding the mtn style as they have greater floatation.

figetphatb

Reaction score
I have a 2000 MountainMax and just love it. I installed a 3" riser on the handllebars (tallest I could go without extending cables) and also added SLP TriKeel skis. Great floatation on powder with my 2-1/2" track is virtually unstobble in snow. Slides a little on hard pack though, but the tri keel do help there to.mop

Top Bottom