97 MM700 eating coils for lunch

donnie

Reaction score
A little about my sled before i ask the question. It has a 09 nitro skid and 153" track, 38mm Mikuni flatslide carbs, throttle block from viper, K@N pods and pre-filters, psi tripple pipes, air box taken out, team secondary rebuilt primary, pulls 8900-9000rpm. I don't know if its just coincidence or a common problem but my middle coil has crapped out 3 times on me now. Not the ends, but middle each time. WTF. Does anyone know if the coils all fire at the same time?? They must because they are wired in sequence and power wires on each end. If you disconnect any wires nothing will run at all, but the middle coil does not send a spark. I switched it out and bursting ear drums again. Getting expensive at $80 a pop. ???

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well all 3 are wired in series I remember that from my MM. The plug wire and plug are good? If there's open circuit on the HV side I think it's hard on the coil.

donnie

Reaction score
Yes all 3 are wired in series, so do they all spark at the same time? I tried swapping the plug wires/boots, it seems to be the coil itself not working properly. How do you test for voltage, what should it be coming from the regulator, 12v?

donnie

Reaction score
Just to close this thread, I ended up buying some coil on plug style coils ACCEL pn.140032. $29.99 a piece and seems to run smoother. Couldn't get an answer out of anyone if automotive coils would work so I read about 20 pages of info on coils and realized the "power sports" industry is generally overpriced on anything for the same s**t. I already had a bracket made for the old setup I just tweaked it for the new style coils and made a wire harness.

Top Bottom