96 Carbed 580 won't idle

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 96 carbed 580 Powder Special. I couldn't get it to idle right. If I give it some choke, it will run for a bit then start to gag and then quits.I put new plugs in. I pulled the carbs and gave them a complete cleaning.

Now, it runs but it still won't idle. I sprayed ether over the boots and the engine but rpm's don't change. If I hold the throttle just a littl ebit, it will idle. Just touching the throttle lever seems to keep it running.Let go of the throttle lever and it dies instantly, almost like no spark. Adjusting the idle screws and throttle cable adjustment makes no difference.

1) how do you check the throttle safety switch? Where is it? I see a magnet?? on the throttle block but nothing metallic on the lever. Does it depress instead of it being a magnet? Can I bypass it to see if it the problem?

2) what are the magnets on the carbs for? Can I bypass them?

3) does anyone have a spare can for this sled? I hate the loud stinger on it.

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
did you remove the idle jets??
and what is your float level
your needle position
turn the idle screws till it will run they may be set all the way down

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you remove the idle jets??
and what is your float level
your needle position
turn the idle screws till it will run they may be set all the way down

i removed and cleaned the entire carb including idle jets

float level is set by the floats and seems ok. It runs if you give it throttle so it isn't flooding out or starving for gas

needle position is stock but the mid range seems ok so they seem allright

i have tried mutliple positions for the idle screws and no difference. It isn't gradually dieing, as soon as I let my finger off the throttle, it dies instantly, almost like no spark

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
throttle cable is loose thumb peice should have 1/16 of an inch play no more

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
there is a throttle safety switch in the handle bars.. there should be a plug for the kill switch in the handle bar risers..

APPLY THE PARK BRAKE and then start the sled. if the sled idles then its the bushings that are on the top and bottom of the throttle lever where the pin goes through.
be sure to have another way of shutting sled off ie key or tehther. the kill switch on the handle bars will be disconnected.

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i think you guys are on the right track. I noticed that the headlights and dash lights start to dim immediately when i take my finger off the throttle. This tells me the sled is in electrical shut down, not fuel shut down.

I am going to take the belt off before disconnecting the 3 pin connector. Last think I need is a sled taking off with no way to turn it off.

Top Bottom