95 vw jetta 1.9 tdi troubles

Reaction score
Hi having some issues with my tdi here's the symptoms
-raw fuel was coming out of tailpipe
-tach not working
-oil light flickering on and off (oil level ok thou)
-battery light on
-very hard starting, takes a long time before it starts and stays running
-can smell fuel in engine bay

Any advice would be helpful! We replaced #2 injector couple months ago however still leaking a bit. All these symptoms started at the same time except its always hard started.

davelaw1982

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
injection timing will cause hard starting, will help with HP, but starting will be BI*#H. I don't know if the 95 VW were electronic injection or not, with that, an electronic injector will have a serial number on it, that needs to be programmed into the ECM/ECU what ever you want to call it. If that number is not in there, the injector will not function properly due to resistance within the solenoid. Low cranking speed will also cause hard start issues, as it will not build correct compression to cause ignition. Raw fuel out the pipe, that is something I don't have an answer for other then the fuel is not being burnt and just pushed out the exhaust.... with the raw fuel out the exhaust, and an oil light flickering, possible fuel in the oil, causing the viscosity of the oil to drop drastically and will maybe cause issues with a sensor. Battery Light on could be a charging issue from alternator or something in the computer....
Seem like power is the same??

Hope this sheds some light on it a bit, I'm not a VW mechanic, but all diesel engines fire/run the same.

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if low voltage could be a cause for all your troubles. (the car) ;)

shoppingcart111

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Give Mark a call at Autobahn Performance, 780.487.7337, their on the west end of edmonton. Tell him mark sent ya.

OLIVE DRAB DEAN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi having some issues with my tdi here's the symptoms
-raw fuel was coming out of tailpipe
-tach not working
-oil light flickering on and off (oil level ok thou)
-battery light on
-very hard starting, takes a long time before it starts and stays running
-can smell fuel in engine bay

Any advice would be helpful! We replaced #2 injector couple months ago however still leaking a bit. All these symptoms started at the same time except its always hard started.

PM Fossy, he know's the Crowder Cars!!!

hippiekiller

Reaction score
95 1.9L is an IDI engine, good old bosch VE mechanical pump.
As far as the hard starting, The glow plugs are really ez to test (just take them out and hook them up to a battery) I would start there fer shure...other than that, to me the symptoms imply more than one sticking injector or perhaps you've jumped a tooth on the pump gear...
I have the same sort of electrical issues when I drive through huge puddles, I'm pretty sure that the gap on my rev counter is too large, which is screwing up the pcm...I like the gtdvw (vwdiesel.net) site, lots of good diesel vw info there...
I have spare parts:rolleyes: good luck

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ymir eh. heard it was pretty cold down there this morning.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I think you need to check voltages...... Sounds more like an alternator or voltage regulator problem...... Need proper voltages for glowplugs and most components to work properly. Your key words were battery lite on, oil lite flickers and tach inop.... Also hard start cold............................... Get an avr test done, and i bet you find the answer to your problems.

KMKjr

Reaction score
Raw fuel, poor running, etc... normally will be your MAF meter on those, but agree with everyone else....check charging system first. I'd say battery and/or alternator to start.

When were the glow plugs replaced last? and the glow plug harness are a know problem, timing belt (could have jumped??), fuel filter (water?)?

hippiekiller

Reaction score
In my experience. these vw diesels require a full 12V to start when cold. Mine will hardly start at all below 0 without the glow plugs, and its tuned...the glow plugs draw over 30 amps, so I think that a weak electrical system would not even start the car...put a voltmeter on the battery, see what it says...also, if you have a clear line running from the filter check for air bubbles....(clompletely different track, I know)

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies!! My battery checks out good. Im going to get my alternator checked this afternoon. If in doubt do you guys know of any reputable shops I can take the car to in the Edmonton area that really knows there VW's?

Top Bottom