94 octane gas

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what is the general thoughts on running the 94 octane gas that is selling at a few BC gas stations. is it a higher methanol content, hard on your engine, should a guy mix it with race fuel, or just stay away and run 91 octane.

steel town

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running the Husky 94 for 3 seasons and have had no issues, some say its no good though, better ask a chemist/engine builder.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have use it also just wondering.

MtnMaster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anywhere the snow is deep, and the hills are steep
IMO the 94 octane from Chevron in BC is some of the best gas you can get at any station. Been running it for YEARS in ALL my motors. 2 and 4 strokes, sleds, bikes, boats, works great in them all. The 94 from Husky with ethanol makes me a little nervous, I would rather just run shell 91 than the Husky 94 with ethanol. But, thats just my preference.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was wondering just how much ethanol was in the 94 mix, could be hard on rubber parts in the fuel delivery process. on most of the threads i've seen, it is not recommended. i have used it also, but just wondering as replacing fuel line parts could get expensive.

dirtbag

Reaction score
the 94 from every station is 91 with additives to make 94 ,around here every station starts with 91 esso and mixes additives to make it thier own..run it if you prefer but 91 esso is the healthiest for toys especcially moded stuff...a lot of little things contribute to engine life and fuel quality/content is a big factor

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
was wondering just how much ethanol was in the 94 mix, could be hard on rubber parts in the fuel delivery process. on most of the threads i've seen, it is not recommended. i have used it also, but just wondering as replacing fuel line parts could get expensive.

i know some guys that tested the 94 at the husky in blue river and it didn't contain any ethanol but the regular did

t-bomb

Reaction score
picked up a tester from briggs and strat. It was 18 bucks and it will tell you the percent of alcohol in the fuel in 10 min. very simple device and could be made from a graduated cylinder from chem class.

all you do is fill to a certain line (aprox 1/4 of the way up) on the flat bottom test tube with water then fill the rest with your fuel. cap, shake and wait 10 min and see how much the water line moved up (alchol mixes with water fuel doesn't)

The briggs one gives you percentages from the water line if you wanted to be percise but really you use any thing and if it moves you know you got some alcohol. Or i guess water for that matter. either way it's bad to run in your 2 stroke.

the brigs on is no longer than a dollar bill and about the dia of a dime.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
picked up a tester from briggs and strat. It was 18 bucks and it will tell you the percent of alcohol in the fuel in 10 min. very simple device and could be made from a graduated cylinder from chem class.

all you do is fill to a certain line (aprox 1/4 of the way up) on the flat bottom test tube with water then fill the rest with your fuel. cap, shake and wait 10 min and see how much the water line moved up (alchol mixes with water fuel doesn't)

The briggs one gives you percentages from the water line if you wanted to be percise but really you use any thing and if it moves you know you got some alcohol. Or i guess water for that matter. either way it's bad to run in your 2 stroke.

the brigs on is no longer than a dollar bill and about the dia of a dime.

sounds like a good idea, at the very least you would know what amt of alky they were trying to sell you.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In some provinces (I think) the ethanol blend is 10% max for emissions reasons. Some motors don't like ethanol blend fuel and the timing required for ethanol is different. It is best to check with the dealer ( a good knowledgeable dealer ) for general use of blended fuel. Ethanol will raise the octane number but may not be comparable to race fuel and av gas combustion characteristics. Ethanol is used to produce less emmisons - Race fuel is designed for more power.

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Running 94 from chevron since getting Rev....never a problem.but have ran 87 on ZX and never had engine problems..kinda funny they say thing's will happen. but Ive never had fuel issuse's.buy heard ethanol isn't good..more on the efi deal

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have also un the chevron and i think husky? 94 premium, had no problems running it, but have heard it's not that good long term?i have access to av gas, but it is a little more pricey. if i mix it with 91 premium it will be i the same price range.

Top Bottom