91 Arctic Cat Wildcat experts!!! Engine questions

Cam

Reaction score
Hey there. So I bought a wildcat. Never owned a cat. Here's the deal: firstly it'd start, run but bogged pretty good. Thought maybe carbs. Cleaned them and set 1.5 turn each. PTO plug black and looks bad, other plug looks good. I have 125-130 psi in both cylinders. I took heads off to check things out. Pistons, they're burnt but smooth and no scoring anywhere. It has now quit starting for me. When I pull her over a bunch, there's gas in the exhaust pipes but I'd expect that. Yes I have spark, good spark. This may sound stupid but I have one coil with the two wires...how do I know which one goes to which plug? They're the same length and it isn't obvious. Either way I've tried swapping them.

Any thoughts so far?
I'm left thinking crank seal, base gaskets, wicked timing issue.....

thx.

Cam

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there. So I bought a wildcat. Never owned a cat. Here's the deal: firstly it'd start, run but bogged pretty good. Thought maybe carbs. Cleaned them and set 1.5 turn each. PTO plug black and looks bad, other plug looks good. I have 125-130 psi in both cylinders. I took heads off to check things out. Pistons, they're burnt but smooth and no scoring anywhere. It has now quit starting for me. When I pull her over a bunch, there's gas in the exhaust pipes but I'd expect that. Yes I have spark, good spark. This may sound stupid but I have one coil with the two wires...how do I know which one goes to which plug? They're the same length and it isn't obvious. Either way I've tried swapping them.

Any thoughts so far?
I'm left thinking crank seal, base gaskets, wicked timing issue.....

thx.

Cam

cutaway screws 3 turns after contact and lift the slide with your finger before turning in screws , air screws 1.5 turns out , and pull the pilot jet and make there clean need a tiny flat screw driver is needed to do this
before you try anything else

Top Bottom