900xp 4 coolant drain

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to drain the coolant in the 900xp4? I also would like to know if anyone knows the tricks to get all the air back out once done. Thanks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Check on the bottom of the rad there should be a drain in the corner. And as for the air there should be a bolt at the top the head where the thermostat is at.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks ill have a look. I was hoping there might be a drain close to the water pump. Being that might be the lowest point in the system.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks ill have a look. I was hoping there might be a drain close to the water pump. Being that might be the lowest point in the system.

I know that my brute force had a drain in the water pump. So you might luck out. If not when you undo the bolts it will drain! Lol

OnlyPolaris

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You basically just have to remove the lower rad hose from the rad to drain the coolant. Easiest way to get air out is to have the machine idling with the coolant cap off. elevate the front of the machine and and then the rear. You can go back and forth. Should get all the air out.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I installed my 2 heater cores. First attempt I thought was a fail because I was not getting any hot coolant through the 1/2 lines I tied my cores in with after I got all the air out of the system. Second attempt I switched the plumbing around and filled cooling system back up and ran until the air was all out and temp fan was kicking in and out like it always does. Still no luck! I have used a 1" T reduced down to 1/2 at both the 1" lines at the motor and the upper 1" rad hose at the rad. The 1/2 " line feeds both heater cores in a parallel circuit and ties back into the 1" line with a T from 1/2 back to 1" with a 1/2 " gate valve so that I can turn the heat on and off when needed. All this and still no luck! The 1/2" line the first time was tied in coming from the motor down stream of the thermostat ending up at the top side of the rad. The second time I tied into the 1" line just before the water pump. Which I'm thinking this is up stream of the water pump. And again still tied into the top rad hose. So best I can figure is that the first time the coolant was flowing from the motor through me cores and to the rad. The second time I'm thinking the coolant is flowing from the 1" line just before the rad and is getting sucked backwards towards the water pump. This is all going off the theory of how a automotive system runs. Hot in the top of the rad and cool out the bottom. Any ideas would be great! I also ran the machine at an idle outside after attempt 1 for a good 1/2 hr with the cooling system running like it always has, on at 93*c and off at 87-84*c. I've used a infrared heat gun to see if there is any rise in the 1/2" line temp, what so ever and hardly 5*c change it the whole trial and error. I called Backus in Mara lake and they aren't to familiar as to which way the coolant is flowing and were going to look at the service manual. Thanks again for the read and please let me know what u think. Or if anyone knows anyone that has installed a heater system in a rzr. If they know how a after market one is plumbed in.

RZR101

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Page 89 in your owners manual. There is a bleed screw above the exhaust header.

ackid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Update on heater core circulation problem. Turns out just needed a good Feild test. 70 mph in the hay Feild got er flowing. Works like a dream. Must have had a little air lock in one of the heater cores.

Top Bottom