850 crazy oil consumption!

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Plus if you based the purchase of your new 2stoke sled, which is 50cc larger, on the fact that it uses less oil than your old one, maybe you should call Yamaha, I hear they use 100% less. The fact that you guys could at some point be in the same riding as me is truly frightening. Not everybody out there needs to be a mechanic but at least make sure you are capable of using common sense before buying a capable sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driftbuster

Reaction score
I don't think anyone based their purchase on the fact that it supposedly would use less oil than an 800 etec. What people did base their purchases on was the facts that they advertised, 40% less oil was one of them. So was lower clutch temps. So was stronger front end. So I think people have a right to be a bit PO'd with the fact that BRP not only lied through their teeth but now are not doing much, if anything, to help anyone. People feel a bit "took" i think, I know I do. I learnt my lesson about first year productions thats for sure. I love my 850, for the 100 km I have on it anyways, but just a bit disappointed hearing about all these issues and seeing the issues I'm having. I guess I was spoiled by my XM so I had high expectations for the 850.

KingCon

Reaction score
Sounds like the same old replies as normal. "I ride so much better and harder than you can", " I shred deep pow like nobody's business", "If you can't afford it don't ride" all the normal BS to defend a persons brand because they can't admit there are issues!

Yah, I can afford the fuel and oil and belts, but your an idiot to put up with that! I know if Ford or Chevy told you that you need to add two quarts of oil every 5,000 miles, people would be yelling foul. Replace my truck under the lemon law! Or better yet, "The reason your truck keeps overheating is because of the sound deadening material!"

Hell yes I am sure there are a lot of ex Dragon owners who switched. Hell yes there are a lot of 08' Ski Doo owners now riding Polaris. Heck yah there are a lot of 12' Cat owners who switched. Not arguing that point at all. It is crazy that a company after almost a year on the snow since the prototype came out won't or can't see they have major issues and help out their loyal customers. I know for a fact a Ski Doo sponsored rider is riding a 850 in our region and is running a Ski Doo race team set up clutch and not the stocker on his everyday sled. That speaks highly. Hell, every time you ride with him he removes his "trail belt" after 8 miles down the trail before hitting the deep snow. Wow!

I wonder how good of snow check Doo would have had if they advertised.
1. Use 40% MORE oil than your previous sled!
2. Burn a $200 belt every other day you ride!
3. Use more fuel than your previous model!
4. Spend $4,000 hitting a bump in the snow and trashing your S-Module!

i think it would have been a lot slower sales year that is for sure.

PowPirate

Reaction score
Plus if you based the purchase of your new 2stoke sled, which is 50cc larger, on the fact that it uses less oil than your old one, maybe you should call Yamaha, I hear they use 100% less. The fact that you guys could at some point be in the same riding as me is truly frightening. Not everybody out there needs to be a mechanic but at least make sure you are capable of using common sense before buying a capable sled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.. I needed an expert like you to make it all clear to me. I guess we all should have used common sense last spring and known that certain things BRP advertised about the new $17000 sled would not be true..

Just for the record, I did not buy my sled purely based on oil consumption, but it was sure a bonus to be able to ride more for less.. Is it so wrong to hope for, and to expect that, after we were all told that this would be the case? What this is about is the fact that I and a lot of other owners are let down by a sled that is flat out not as it was advertised. Yes it rips, and yes I do like riding it, but the fact is that we were fed more than one lie about it and now BRP seems to be washing their hands of the problems and letting us deal with them.

They were supposed to use 40% less oil and they do not. Are you actually happy about paying 40% more than advertised for oil this season? I can live with it, because I have to but I will certainly not be happy about it.

The P-Drive was supposed to lower clutch temps and extend belt life.. I am hard on my sleds and have had a lot of belt issues in the past so this one was a really big selling point for me. I am now spending even more money on my sled, buying clutch parts to try to extend belt life beyond the 300kms(if I am lucky) I am getting now.

The bulk heads.. Remember the video of Norona in Vegas where he first advertised that the bulk head would not break and that the A-arms and spindle would be the weak point? I do, and so do a lot of others who now have $17000 garage ornaments.

This is about not getting what BRP told us we would get and nothing else. The oil thing kinda sucks and whatever, but if that was the only problem there would be no problem. Blowing $200 belts every other day and people breaking $4000 bulk heads is unacceptable. JMO.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I put a litre of oil in the car every 1500km. The manual says this is normal.

It's a game changer!!! The hype was real. Sled performs good but was way over hyped. I am enjoying it though and that's all that matters I guess.

Remember there is lots of guys riding with zero problems. I've hit lots of bumps no cracks yet. Maybe I'm not pro rider like everyone else on snow and mud :(

PowPirate

Reaction score
I have not cracked mine yet either luckily. Like I said, I do like the sled a lot for the performance but the thing that is really getting old is the way it eats belts! I shouldn't have to re-clutch my sled to try and fix the belt problem when they are tested right in my back yard in Sicamous. I could see if they were tested in Quebec that things wouldn't be tuned right for BC, but how did this even happen when they test them right here? makes no sense.

For what I and many other locals have been paying for belts so far this season, the huge "not as advertised" oil consumption is just icing on the cake. If BRP thought they had to turn up the oil on these sleds, they should have figured that out before telling every potential customer that they would use 40% less than an 800.

Thistledoo

Reaction score
I have not cracked mine yet either luckily. Like I said, I do like the sled a lot for the performance but the thing that is really getting old is the way it eats belts! I shouldn't have to re-clutch my sled to try and fix the belt problem when they are tested right in my back yard in Sicamous. I could see if they were tested in Quebec that things wouldn't be tuned right for BC, but how did this even happen when they test them right here? makes no sense.

For what I and many other locals have been paying for belts so far this season, the huge "not as advertised" oil consumption is just icing on the cake. If BRP thought they had to turn up the oil on these sleds, they should have figured that out before telling every potential customer that they would use 40% less than an 800.

I agree...I was told they have been riding these things for 3 seasons WTF!

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oil consumption could be better on trail riding maybe? What's the fine print say.. just like they advertised the 800 at 163hp lol.

PowPirate

Reaction score
Karl had a 850 prototype engine in his xm chassis yes, in 15-16 he road it a fair bit I was told

sent while drinking tea's

That is what I was told also. It makes sense because how else could they possibly test the new motor and keep it a secret? Makes me worry that the belt issues lots of us are having is actually a new chassis related motor mount issue and will not be such a simple fix. I hope they just messed up on clutching again. I will know soon with some testing of different set ups.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The only reason one would complain about oil consumption is because I actually have to start looking at carrying extra oil for a big day of pow riding (along with my 4 spare belts)

THAT, IS A PROBLEM !!!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree...I was told they have been riding these things for 3 seasons WTF!
Brendon we have talked about this numerous times with each other. Proto's are rode as mules for 3-4 years usually. I would assume all manufacturers follow this formula? The product is refined through the process to what the consumer finally gets in his hands. Where the problem usually arises is the purchasing dept. BRP or Polaris now says we need someone to build x number of these clutch bushings or widgets for the sled and find a supplier that will build it the cheapest and meet our budget and have the same quality of the one we ran in the mules for 2-3 years. Then the supplier finds costs may not be do able so they cut corners. Just like Team Industries did for the 07 and 08 TRA bushings. Look at Polaris? Great product. Do you think if they had glue letting go on a arms and drive axles breaking on there proto's they would have released that to the masses? No. Sometime the blame should not be on the manufacturer for building the product but for not testing the finished product before it is released to the consumer. There is more to these failures than meets the eye. It wouldn't surprise me this current belt issue will come down to serial numbers. Maybe BRP is trying out 2 different suppliers for there P drives and this is where the problem comes from? Food for thought.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brendon we have talked about this numerous times with each other. Proto's are rode as mules for 3-4 years usually. I would assume all manufacturers follow this formula? The product is refined through the process to what the consumer finally gets in his hands. Where the problem usually arises is the purchasing dept. BRP or Polaris now says we need someone to build x number of these clutch bushings or widgets for the sled and find a supplier that will build it the cheapest and meet our budget and have the same quality of the one we ran in the mules for 2-3 years. Then the supplier finds costs may not be do able so they cut corners. Just like Team Industries did for the 07 and 08 TRA bushings. Look at Polaris? Great product. Do you think if they had glue letting go on a arms and drive axles breaking on there proto's they would have released that to the masses? No. Sometime the blame should not be on the manufacturer for building the product but for not testing the finished product before it is released to the consumer. There is more to these failures than meets the eye. It wouldn't surprise me this current belt issue will come down to serial numbers. Maybe BRP is trying out 2 different suppliers for there P drives and this is where the problem comes from? Food for thought.
I've said that from the start, clutches made in Mexico and China

One has issues and one don't

Just like the g.m cars ignition issues

2 different suppliers, some good, some bad

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it's good to see a 2-stroke that is using lots of oil, it makes for a long living 2smoke

Just like alcohol..........
Unless you have fouled out and stopped working there is no such thing as to much!

kidinloghouse

Reaction score
i thought i read somewhere the reason BRP cranked the oil up on the 850 was because of all the people on the forums bragging about not using xps oil in their etecs. so they richened them up so you can run ams or whatever in them and they would survive the 4 year warranty.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i thought i read somewhere the reason BRP cranked the oil up on the 850 was because of all the people on the forums bragging about not using xps oil in their etecs. so they richened them up so you can run ams or whatever in them and they would survive the 4 year warranty.
That's retarded

My last 3 sleds, 2010 xpx, 2014 xmx, 2016 t3

All have had 2 jugs of doo xps for break in, and moved onto Coop xls synthetic after

The 2010 xp has 3500 miles all stock with nothing done

The 2014 had pistons done as per dealer told me to under warranty at 5000 km and we're just past spec, and got crank done at 8000 km as per dealer told me had 5.5 tho runout

2016, we'll has 2 rides on it so, just bought it lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats a new one I haven't heard before. Lol.

Top Bottom