85 Bravo 250 won't idle

fastrack

Reaction score
I need some help please. Here's my situation.

Short story.
1. Give a good bravo some TLC. New fuel lines, pump, filter, carb clean. Runs great.
2. Oil injection system fails.
3. Engine seizes
4. Rings, cylinder good and compression at 140lbs after "unseizing engine"
5. "Disconnect" oil injection system, check for vacuum leaks, I'm good
6. Engine starts with choke but won't idle. Can keep it running by playing with choke. Throttle kills the engine. Idling circuit plugged?
7. Clean carb. Still won't idle
8. Clean carb again. Still won't idle
9. E&S cleans carb for me. Starts easier, but still won't idle

I thought the idle circuit in the carb was blocked/plugged b/c my compression is good, I can't find any vacuum leaks. I left it alone for a couple days now, and found a puddle of mixed fuel under the sled. But I can't tell where it is coming from. I heard that the 250 engines have a rubber "plug" in the crank case. Is this true? If so where is it?

I would like to get the kid going again with this fresh snow. As far as he is concerned he got coal for Christmas.

Please help

rednek318

Reaction score
you can find the factory manual for the bravos at tons of torrent sites. helped me lots. have you checked the throttle stop screw above the throttle saftey switch? it is left hand thread in case you back it out too far like me and spend half an hour trying to get back together :eek:

rednek318

Reaction score
just checked manual, if the throttle stop screw is backed out too much it wont idle, too tight engine speed is higher. I can email you link for manual just dont want to cause waves posting on here

fastrack

Reaction score
Thanks for the posts. It turns out after all that messin around with the carb cleaning and adjusting the idle speed screw, the real cause of the engine sieze reveiled itself. Crank case is cracked. Either water got in there this summer or the kid over reved it for to long:rolleyes:

Cheers:beer:

Top Bottom