800vs 1000

ski-doo

Reaction score
Ive heard that the 800 doo can out perform the 1000 doo. Is this true?

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
As usual the answer is not exactly straight forward. "Outperform"? Depends on what your definition is. The 1000 with a 162 track will out climb a new 800R. Not by much, but noticeable. We rode in 2 to 3 feet of fresh in Valemount on Saturday and the Turbo Yam's still rule going straight up. Which is the best an 800 or 1000 all around? Ah now there's the rub, the 800 handles easier, turns quicker, will save your A$# when you screw up in the trees etc. The 1000 is a handfull in most situations. If you are older (like me) the 8 is the only choice because I get tired late in the day on the 1000. Like to play in the trees, sidehill, etc, take the 8.

Simple eh?

ski-doo

Reaction score
haha thanks. I figured the 1000 would be harder to play on because of the size. I sat on one the other day and man is that a big sled.

poorman

Reaction score
I have had a 800 151 Rev for the last three years and have bought a new Rt1000 162 this year. There is a noticeable difference in power and will climb to places you dont want to be. As for handleing in the trees I actually find it more forgiving and easier to ride. It has so much flotation that when i would have to be "on the pin" with my 800 to get around I can now stop and think about it and not have to worry about getting stuck. The sled looks heavier than it feels.The wide side panels give it that pregnant feel..LOL. There are times when I miss the 800 but there is no replacement for displacement and I am really enjoying the power and flotation of this machine.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Re: Big Dogs

HEY POORMAN, YOU JUST CONFRIMED THAT THE IDEA OF THE "BIG" SLED IS ACTUALLY EASIER TO RIDE, BECAUSE OF THE POWER AND FLOTATION, TO ME. THE "LITTLE" SLEDS :cool: ARE ONLY ENVIOUS BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PICK THE "BIG ONE", THATS ALL.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
HEY POORMAN, YOU JUST CONFRIMED THAT THE IDEA OF THE "BIG" SLED IS ACTUALLY EASIER TO RIDE, BECAUSE OF THE POWER AND FLOTATION, TO ME. THE "LITTLE" SLEDS :cool: ARE ONLY ENVIOUS BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PICK THE "BIG ONE", THATS ALL.

Now guys quit pickin' on us wimps. I am 65 years old, weigh 175 with my gear on and a 1000 just tires me out about lunch time. Yes, and the 8 gets me to places where a normal human being doesn't want to be. Is a 1000 a good choice for a beginner, nope, learn to ride first, then go play in the nose bleed section. 800R 159 is a good compromise for us mortals.

See ya on the hill.

ski-doo

Reaction score
i guess its just personal preference. ill have to try one out some time and see how i can do on one.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Re: Big Dogs

MXOLDTIMER: ITS GREAT TO HEAR FROM A YOUNGSTER LIKE YOURSELF.... I TRULY RESPECT THAT, AND I PLAN TO RIDE INTO MY 60'S, AND 70'S IF MY BODY ALLOWS ME..... KEEP ON DOOING!!!:awesome_dude: MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU, SIR..........

GRD

Reaction score
Oldtimer

Like the post above me, great to here for guys like yourself.

My grandfather had been out with us a few times, is nice to see.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mxoldtimer,man after the last two posts I almost feel for ya ! Those boys are making you sound ancient.Sixty Five aint that old.Heck you still got 10 years of hard ridin before you tone it down and let the young fellars catch up!Keep up thew posts,I enjoy reading them!
WE SKI-DOO YOU!
catmandoo!:Cool9:

SLEDBUNNYRACING

Bad Bunny
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.sledbunnyracing.com
65 ain't that old

A few years ago SummitRic and I were in McBride and a bunch of Mods were pounding on a smaller but complicated hill. After many failures to crest the top a couple of old timers (think straw hats, pipes with banjo music play'n in the background) gently noted the best lines to get over. They included a couple of complicate switchbacks as they climbed. Seemed impossible but both of those boys made it up and over on stock sleds much to the "shock" of the mods.
You bet, the youngest was 65.
For me, that was the day I accepted the comcept of Experience over Power. Skill and wisdom go a long way in this game.
MXOldtimer, keep on "Rock'n"
Cheers!

summitron

Reaction score
There is a noticeable difference in power and will climb to places you dont want to be. As for handleing in the trees I actually find it more forgiving and easier to ride.

I agree , I ride 05 rt 1000,151" and maybe I'm a big wimp but this this climbs to places at half throttle that I'm scared to be:fear: , but it's also true I stop and ponder my next move all the time and it starts moving where a lot of other sleds start digging. I also have a 06 summit 600 with a 144" and its a blast to throw around and boondock with but not the same rush as the big beast, 1000 pulls sooooo much harder it's a blast.:yahoo: ..144 likes to dig holes with me on it.

MXOldtimer

Reaction score
Well thanks for all the positive responses. Also the feature list for the Elan is a hoot. I plan to keep on playing with my noisy toys until better sense says to knock it off. At some point in my long association with motorsports I have with varying degrees of success raced rally cars, stock cars, drag cars (door slammers only), sports cars, road raced motorcycles, ice raced motorcycles, ice raced 3 wheelers and quads, oval raced sleds, cross country raced sleds, trials riding, cross country on motorcycles and last but not least, MX. The MX thing sort of stuck. I am usually up for a ride anytime of the year on whatever, still have sleds (obviously), quads and dirt bikes.

Merry Christmas guys, rubber side down.

Shifty423

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Been riding my new 800 and I find it has lots for me... I am a jumper though so the 162 is just way to much track!

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 800rs and the 1000s have a lot more to offer for the masses......but thats not the case so far.

Top Bottom