800 Prom RMK 163 new sled - break in period??

benjabel

Reaction score
Hello there,
I have a new sled this year (first time with a brand new one!), and am curious on opinions around realistic break in periods. Dealer says first tank of fuel, which is 6-8 hours of no more than medium level throttle. I need to get this new ride in tip top shape in order to challenge the Revy / Sicamous areas.
I do not have tons of experience, but have ridden several times in the mountains. A little hesitant to not break it in properly and then have issues.

We have terrible snow conditions in Central Alberta and I can't even find a frozen lake to ride on yet. I would be curious to get some feedback if I need to trail ride this RMK first for 6 hours, or what else can I do to break it in without getting into trouble in the powder?

Would appreciate feedback from this community.

Thanks,
Marc

Rbrduk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Break it in the same as you will ride it. Just vary throttle position. Don't stay wide open for extended/long pulls.
IMHO.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride it like you stole it! Break in period is around 20 hours according to the manual.

Pre mix first two tanks of premium (I think 50:1?) Works out to 1/2 a quart of oil in a 20L Jerry can. Is what I was informed of by my dealer anyways.

And as mentioned. Vary the throttle..... especially on the trail.

Last edited:

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ride it like you stole it! Break in period is around 20 hours according to the manual.

Pre mix first two tanks of premium (I think 50:1?) Works out to 1/2 a quart of oil in a 20L Jerry can. Is what I was informed of by my dealer anyways.

And as mentioned. Vary the throttle..... especially on the trail.

My dealer told me to add no extra oil. 2015 and older was a different story however.

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello there,
I have a new sled this year (first time with a brand new one!), and am curious on opinions around realistic break in periods. Dealer says first tank of fuel, which is 6-8 hours of no more than medium level throttle. I need to get this new ride in tip top shape in order to challenge the Revy / Sicamous areas.
I do not have tons of experience, but have ridden several times in the mountains. A little hesitant to not break it in properly and then have issues.

We have terrible snow conditions in Central Alberta and I can't even find a frozen lake to ride on yet. I would be curious to get some feedback if I need to trail ride this RMK first for 6 hours, or what else can I do to break it in without getting into trouble in the powder?

Would appreciate feedback from this community.

Thanks,
Marc

I rode the tits off my 2016 from brand new (just like every sled i've bought new). Last weekend i hit 1200 miles and its been perfect so far.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For 2016 the recommendation from most dealers was add 1 litre of oil to first tank. Most guys who used the full litre fouled plugs. I used 1/2 litre and had great results.

Top Bottom