800 exhaust temps. Ceramic coating.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm getting my exhaust pipe ceramic coated, wondering what temps are out of the Y-pipe. The specific coating I'm getting is good for 1200 degrees. I wouldn't think it would be much more than 1000, but I am not sure. I can get titanium coating that's good for 2000. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks fellas!

Reaction score
Gentlemen, I'm getting my exhaust pipe ceramic coated, wondering what temps are out of the Y-pipe. The specific coating I'm getting is good for 1200 degrees. I wouldn't think it would be much more than 1000, but I am not sure. I can get titanium coating that's good for 2000. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks fellas!

A lot depends on the type of riding you're doing but as a point of reference a 1200F ceramic coating is likely not sufficient for most normally aspirated applications. If this is a turbo charged application, 1200F is completely useless........ You'll want a 1800F - 2000F Ceramic Coating for any turbo charged application.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll call them on tuesday and switch it to the titanium which is good for 2000 degrees F. Its not as pretty as the 1200, but the hoods closed 99% of the time anyway lol... thanks- might as well be safe then sorry.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll call them on tuesday and switch it to the titanium which is good for 2000 degrees F. Its not as pretty as the 1200, but the hoods closed 99% of the time anyway lol... thanks- might as well be safe then sorry.

Who are you getting to do this coating for you and approx how much is it to get done? If you dont mind me asking.

I am interested in doing this too.

Thanks.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top gun coatings in Calgary,

110 to coat, 40 to clean if its rusty. 4 different coatings, titanium, silver, black and a chrome ceramic which i was going to do initially but doesn't sound like it'll stand up to the heat. Pretty cool as they coat the inside of the pipe as well.

Last edited:

slededjr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't coat the inside. It could end up changing the performance. 1 millimeter can make a huge difference on a 2 stroke pipe. I'd stick with just the outside. My .02

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't coat the inside. It could end up changing the performance. 1 millimeter can make a huge difference on a 2 stroke pipe. I'd stick with just the outside. My .02

I'll ask them what they think as they coat them all the time. They refer to them as J-pipes haha.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

110 to coat, 40 to clean if its rusty. 4 different coatings, titanium, silver, black and a chrome ceramic which i was going to do initially but doesn't sound like it'll stand up to the heat. Pretty cool as they coat the inside of the pipe as well.

Awesome, Thanks!

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
  1. Top Gun Coatings http://www.topguncoatings.com
    Address: 4715 13 St NE #101, Calgary, AB T2E 6M3
  2. Phone:(403) 250-5393
  3. If you want to get a quote, and its for the main pipe off the Y-pipe refer to them as J pipes and they'll now exactly what you're talking about, haha.

Reaction score

Bright Ceramic will look worse than this in hours or days.... It makes no sense.....

DSCF0144.JPG

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i went with the titanium. At this point i don't really care about what it looks like anymore. I was stoked on the chrome ceramic, but if it can't handle the heat, i'm just glad i can pull all the heat shielding and wrap off the pipe.

Reaction score
Yeah, i went with the titanium. At this point i don't really care about what it looks like anymore. I was stoked on the chrome ceramic, but if it can't handle the heat, i'm just glad i can pull all the heat shielding and wrap off the pipe.

Yeah, unfortunately most people wait too long to inspect their pipes under the heat shields and you end up with a mess like this.....

IMG00678-20111222-2106.jpg

dooin800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the titanium coating protect better than the ceramic coating? I've seen the pipes start to rust with the ceramic.

Diamondledinc

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not too sure, they guarantee that it will not corrode, flake, peel or turn blue under normal use.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Top gun coatings are awesome I have had my dirt bike header done with the titanium coating (looks like a gun metal grey)
And had my split second 670 pipes ceramic coated by them as well both of held up very well and they are by far the best pricing I was able to find on the dirt bike headers (half the price of anyone else)

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got my pipe ceramic coated at impact coatings in edmonton ,at the begining of last year still looks great so far.

Top Bottom