800 etec oiling - using lots

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Noticed this year I am burning about double the oil as my buddy. Close to half the reservoir per tank. We have similar riding styles and burn similar amount of fuel. It's a 2013 with 5600 km. He has about 3000km. Do they automatically increase the oiling rate when they get high km? Kinda like breaking mode. I am going to check closer for leaks but even if I have a couple small leaks I can't see how that can change the consumption that much because they would be after the pump.

firstdoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check the top of the tank where the cap screws on. i started with a slow leak that wasn't very noticeable. Last ride I noticed the hole looked like an egg. lost almost half a tank from rolling it to get un stuck. Installed the oil tank sleeve as soon as I got home.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you are not leaking oil from the tank neck, tack your oil/fuel usage and see what you get. My oil pump went bad and I was using 16:1... Yes 16:1! I was told that 40:1 is more normal, about 1L of oil per tank of fuel.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had the neck sleeve since new. I will look into the pump. Thanks.

Limbo

Reaction score
Mine is good on oil I think, but I definitely notice increased consumption when full throttle time goes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to start with the check valves. I read on other form that this can create this issue. A lot cheaper than oil pump.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you talking about the little white things inline with the hoses that lead to the rave valves ?

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In deep snow your wide open and use tons of oil. My 174 uses way less oil than my 154. I have to keep the 54 to the bar all day. The 174 im off and on the throttle uses less oil.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
4 xms in our group and if its a deep day we use half tank oil for full tank of fuel!!

Ok that's what I am using. I'll leave it alone for now and do better job of tracking/measuring usage.

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Too little bad SQEEK Never too much on the old style meant cable broke and fails wide open not sure on etec but throttle wide open means lots of oil also

Top Bottom