8" Billet Wheels

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just put on 8" billet wheels and noticed on my track right were the wheels run the rubber has worn down to the fabric. This is after only 300km. 1 or 2000km the track would be toast. Anyone that has the same set up should have a look at the inside of the track where these wheels run to make sure the track is not getting destroyed.
Where can I get rubber coated 8" wheels?? :rant::rant:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its not the lack of ruber thats the problem, you need wheels that have a taper on each edge otherwise they will cut into the track

I agree ive got billets on mine and have well over 1000 miles on mine and track is in exc. condition. Is your track maybe to tight as well?

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wheels have a taper. It's about a 1/2" square wear mark every 4 inches or so. Only on the edge of the track that doesn't have the paddle underneath it. The 300km that I put on the track it was quite loose.

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I too have radiused edges and no track wear whatsoever.

dooryder

XP V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem, every second window there is a little square, but it only took the service rubber off, it should be fine, mine hasnt wore anymore then those squares

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sounds good. I will keep an eye on it. I thought the track would be desrtroyed if I kept running it. Thanks again, Kiddo...

Maverick800XRS

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rubber coated or poly coated wheels will not wear grooves into your track, alum wheels also ice and tighten the track from the ice build up on the edges. Any rock chips or roughing of the edges from rocks or sand on the alum wheels also wear tracks at an increased rate. I have poly coated wheels and 1200km's later track looks the same the day i put them on, also no worries about track tension. From the amount of wear your seeing your track might be too tight, check the tension. Bought my 8" wheels from Specialty in Edmonton. PS run no less than 3 wheels, the 2 inners for better boondocking is a myth :p you just lose power because your rolling resistance has increase, go with 4 if you want to improve on something ;)

Good luck

Hylode

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up !!:beer: I went threw that a few years ago so I went to rubber coated :beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rubber coated or poly coated wheels will not wear grooves into your track, alum wheels also ice and tighten the track from the ice build up on the edges. Any rock chips or roughing of the edges from rocks or sand on the alum wheels also wear tracks at an increased rate. I have poly coated wheels and 1200km's later track looks the same the day i put them on, also no worries about track tension. From the amount of wear your seeing your track might be too tight, check the tension. Bought my 8" wheels from Specialty in Edmonton. PS run no less than 3 wheels, the 2 inners for better boondocking is a myth :p you just lose power because your rolling resistance has increase, go with 4 if you want to improve on something ;)

Good luck

Heard this too but have never had a problem with icing on mine and no issues with track tension. Haven't gouged my wheels, track either or worn to the threads and I only run the two wheels.....:D Have about 1000 kms on mine and no issues other than the routine wear and tear. You can buy scrapers for the aluminum wheels and you mount them to the rails. They look like little plastic triangles basically.

Not sure who told you about less rolling resistance with 2 vs 3 vs 4 wheels? I guess we could argue it the opposite way and say that more wheels = more weight so that's going to make you slower too. I guess its more a question of which one is the slower of the two...? :D

Also, bigger wheels are going to lower the rolling resistance of your sled as well anyway, so you are negating a bigger factor (less friction) here by increasing the wheel size anyway. The biggest source of resistance is the track tension.

Just some other points to ponder. :)

Grizzly4323

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode Vale the past three days and all looks good. No furhter wear has occured. I also run a 4 wheel kit on a turbo makes sense. Less stress on each bearing. Just my 2 cents.....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
theres no way you loose power, maybe on a dyno with all the resistance but in the mountains with all the snow i doubt it.

also i installed 4 inside wheel kits this year and each person loved how easy it ws to sidehill.

also removed outside wheels

Top Bottom