700 rmk coolant leaking out of exhaust valve

Blueberry6

Reaction score
I am new to these forums.... Have a 2004 rmk 700. Noticed coolant from right exhaust valve. Caught it fairly early, as coolant is down about 100 ml or so. I am assuming head gasket or base gasket... But any other ideas, and what about potential damage? Plugs are very good color. Approx 200 km on this new engine.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
pull the heads and check the thin rubber gasket if they are not seated in the groove properly they get pinched and leak make sure you torque the bolts in the right sequence. when you have the heads off take a straight edge and check for perfectly flat surface

Blueberry6

Reaction score
Thanks, any thought on other potential damage while i have engine apart. I think i noticed it quick enough, but coolant isnt great for the engine.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
after you pull the heads run the pistons up and down by hand and check the walls, coolant damage only cause damage if the coolant sticks the rings to the walls. check to see if there is any sticky film on the walls and clean with brake cleaner then coat the cylinders with oil and put back together, then warm engine up and then do a compression test on both cylinders compression should not be more than 10-15 % difference hope that gets you started in the right direction

Top Bottom