670 spark issues

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the old 670 crapped out a stator at the beginning of last season and then a cdi at the end of the season maybe 5 or 6 rides later. So picked up a used stator and hooked it up sled ran for a bit and I shut off reinstalled pipe mounted cdi etc. try to restart no spark wtf. Mess with it check plugs etc. reafrican American rig my 583 cdi to it and now it fires but not at the right time backfires or fires on the compression stroke to soon when ripping on the cord and damn near rips your arm off.
Any ideas what it may be that would fry the new used cdi like that, coincidence?

Just about time to maybe retire the old girl :(... Or drop in one of the 583s I got laying around

Any ideas would be great
Thanks

Last edited:

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cdi can cause a timing problem, check your pickup too but you were saying it started so I don't see how that moved? Would check it, but it is more than likely the cdi by your story

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know cdi for sure as I got no spark with the proper one but got spark with the one from the 583. But thinking mauve crank out of phase or something causing the backfire/ fire at wrong time issue

Barker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the 583 cdi is throwing your timing out

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's what I'm hoping looking for another 670 cdi

modz

Reaction score
check if your flywheel cotter key is broken. this will cause major ignition timing issues

Top Bottom