600 summit stalls when activating reverse

mcdoodle

Reaction score
hi I have a 600 summit 07 that has only 700 miles on it. When the sled is warmed up it engages into reverse. But when u ride for awhile the sled while not engage into reverse. The sled did not have a problem last year with this. This problem only started when i got the sled out of storage two weeks ago. Is this from week rings? or from some bad gas? I have read some articles saying that is a common problem?

2003Summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Compression is the most common reason for this, but not the only reason. Check the compression when the sled is both cold and at the temp you have problems with. If the compression is low cold, you don't need to bother with hot. Ie. by cold I mean after the sled has been sitting overnight at room temp in a heated shop/garage or warm it up by running it for about 5 mins. The sled will stall go into reverse if the compression is too low. They are usually harder to start when low on compression as well (unless you use electric start, you may not notice).

I don't know what it should be for your sled, you should look it up. Probably between 135 and 155lbs. Anything around 20-30lbs less then it should be and you will have issues. Also, both cylinders should be a close match (ie. one at 130, one at 150 = not good).

If you have good compression then it is something else like fuel, fuel mixture, dpm, maybe reeds, but not cyl, rings, piston. One tank of bad gas is not likely going to cause this if the bad gas has been burned already and the sled is otherwise running fine now (and good comp. and fuel mix). Also, if you are running improper fuel mix you will keep doing more damage (ie. melt down in your future), check for fuel mix problems right away if it's not compression. Check fuel mix by checking plugs at ¼, half and full throttle runs (ask for the procedure and I or someone else will tell you). In any case, you should find out what the problem is, it's usually indicative of another problem that will do harm to your motor while running it – and these little high strung motors burn up very fast if something is not right.

If you still got warranty on it, take it in after you check the compression (record the numbers and conditions of testing). If your warranty is not long expired talk to your dealer and see what help they will give you. If your dealer will not help, ask for more help here if you like.

Good Luck.

vpfuelman

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
what rpm is the sled running at idle if it is to low then when you try reverse it will stall should be 1800-2000 rpm

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my 2007 800r stalls when its not warmed right up, didnt seem to do this last year either, never really use reverse mid day? maybe i should try it out
let me know the soloution and or problem that u find

Top Bottom