5500 diesels, lets hear it

Reaction score
need to pick up a new 5500 and a gooseneck.

my first instinct was the cummins, now hearing a few guys say they have issues.

not brand biased at all.

lets hear it, good, bad, ugly please

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe Stay away from the 08-11 5500 Rams, or at least be aware of the recall

Summary:
Chrysler is recalling certain model year 2008-2011 Dodge Ram 4500 and 5500 vehicles. These vehicles may experience a weakening and fracture of the left ball stud on the tie rod resulting in the potential loss of steering.

Consequence: Loss of steering control of the vehicle could increase the risk of a crash.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a few of the dodges at work, 11's 12's and a 15 and they all seem to have continuous issues with the DEF systems. We have also bought a new 15 F550 but don't have enough miles on it yet to know for sure, what I do know is either way they both feel underpowered, I'm a Ford guy but to be honest I prefer the way the dodges steer, they seem to be more stable, but I also like the power curve better on the Powerstrokes. I know a few guys know that have traded in their Dodge Cummins for Ford gas jobs simply because they are more reliable though, even burning 40% more fuel they still save in the long run. But I personally wouldn't say either diesel is significantly better, they both seem to have their issues, I guess its which one you can get at a better price, and what service department you like better.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a dodge guy and always will be so I would get the dodge. But they do and will have problems the def, mostly if they idle to much. But the new fords are looking pretty good and I think they got the def system figured out the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

landownunder

Reaction score
We have about eight F550's at work they are all between 2012-2014's. A few of them have had problems with the DEF tanks cracking during winter and one has had a few front end issues but considering the roads a lot of them are driven on they are actually holding up pretty well. I'd say in the winter most guys are probably idling their trucks for at least a couple hours a day too.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
These new trucks don't need to be idled like they used to. Idling is bad for them and clogs up the emissions stuff.

The egr valve will help with winter warm ups.

Whats with some of these hot shot guys having GVW ratings 22,000kg+, there is no way these trucks are rated that heavy? That's tandem dump truck territory.

Top Bottom