509 goggles

sledneck_03

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
they work well to keep the cold wind off your face but when its warm out they fog easy. I use them in Sask but switch to my dragon dx moto goggles with a dual lens in the mountains.

I tried the fan in them (509s) and it works ok not a problem saver but i also sweat alot from my forehead. My wife says its crazy how much a sweat from my forehead so I might be the problem and they may work fine for others.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 509 Sinisters and Aviators. I've not had a problem with either fogging, but I dress light, and don't run a balaclava once in the alpine to prevent excessive sweating, nor do I use a breath box on my helmet. I haven't had to use my goggle fan on the 509 goggles or the Zeal goggles (polarized and light sensitive). Prior to that, I've run Smith, Scott, Oakley, Spy, Pro-Grip goggles and could never keep the lenses clear of fog. Just my experience.

zeebs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I run 509 Sinisters and Aviators. I've not had a problem with either fogging, but I dress light, and don't run a balaclava once in the alpine to prevent excessive sweating, nor do I use a breath box on my helmet. I haven't had to use my goggle fan on the 509 goggles or the Zeal goggles (polarized and light sensitive). Prior to that, I've run Smith, Scott, Oakley, Spy, Pro-Grip goggles and could never keep the lenses clear of fog. Just my experience.

When you say dress light, how light? You're wearing a base layer but what about a mid layer?

Sent while not working too hard

omullinger

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I felt like the sinisters were like a junior fit. I like the aviators though. dont have any issues with fogging and fit great

goodleo

Reaction score
I bought the Aviators at the sled show and used them last weekend in valemount. Best goggles I have owned. No prob fogging. I have the yellow polorized lens and wouldn't use anything else

John Cambell

Reaction score
I have sinisters. Best thing i like, are the nose piece. I tell you, if you follow somebody that nose piece will be a life saver. Prevents wind and snow, pretty much your hole face is covered.

Negative, i would say never buy the ones with the fake tint, like the silver lens. One little scratch and they are done. I ended up rubbing the entire tint off. They are better natural

Shadam

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not happy with my 509s
lame ...

backcountry on a bell helmet
lense is so rubbed of its a hazard
fogs like nothing else, my von zipper or wotev are 1000 times better in all conditions
I've tryed the fan and dont recomend it, waste of money

my lense is so farked up I want to buy anotherlense, but think I should just buy another goggle

Djpanda

Reaction score
I'm using aviators with the fan. Totally recommend then to anyone. No problems at all.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Sinisters, and they are ok. They look nice sure, but man, I have had a LOT of fogging. A buddy has the Aviators and its the same thing. A lot of riding got killed for both of us just for fogging the other day. I didn't have this many issues with my old Smith Warps...Might try some anti-fog stuff on the lenses and see if it makes a difference.

On a positive, the nose piece is stellar.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just bought the sinisters today and like them. I am thinking about buying the fan though to help.

NMR

Reaction score
I have the sinisters and the aviators both work great especially with a 509 helmet. Only issue I've had with them is a bit of freeze up on cold days, only happens if I stop riding for longer than 5 minutes and don't stick them in my jacket to stay warm.

Braddock54

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah it might be the -25 that is fogging and icing me up. They might be a lot better at say -5 or so.

0neoldfart

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you say dress light, how light? You're wearing a base layer but what about a mid layer?

Sent while not working too hard
I wear a set of helly hanson polypros as a base layer, and a outer shell (Klim pullover and pants). If I'm riding, I'm not cold. Not everone can do this, but I'm used to working outside all winter.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not happy with my 509s
lame ...

backcountry on a bell helmet
lense is so rubbed of its a hazard
fogs like nothing else, my von zipper or wotev are 1000 times better in all conditions
I've tryed the fan and dont recomend it, waste of money

my lense is so farked up I want to buy anotherlense, but think I should just buy another goggle

X2 I personally wouldn't waste my money on 509's! They fog up all the time. And the two layers on the lenses come apart easy! I went through 3 sets of lenses last year. Old school Scott goggles work the best for me!

NMR

Reaction score
Yeah it might be the -25 that is fogging and icing me up. They might be a lot better at say -5 or so.

That could be it, it was -27 the day I had issues, but like I said it was only once I stopped riding and didn't have the airflow, pretty typical with most goggles though

tantrumpipeline

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run them for 2 seasons- pros: they look nice, nose piece is a nice feature, lots of lens choices and only 17$ each, fit the Motorfist and 509 helmets great. Cons: had several of the foam backing peel(warranty covered though), multiple lenses get moisture between the two layers( no warranty but could be from extended time in my underhood goggle bag, do not fit klim helmet without the nose piece being modified, multiple fans faulty(warrantied but for the little good it did I gave up) all in all they're mid range price and better than average for fogging, I have 3 pairs on me at all times, 2 is a must to rotate as the fog but I get stuck lots, sweat like a whore in church, and I like the 3rd to be the opposite if the days initial lighting conditions in case it changes during the day, nothing worse than pink or blue lenses on a bluebird

Pinebeatle

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy another pair- not worth the money. Son bought the aviaters and they scratched up real quick, I bought sinisters and they are a little better but at over $100 --Humm I have a pair of Smiths and they are ten years old-Wear them the most:p

Last edited:
Top Bottom