4 Stroke or nothing

M1ryguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Spent my first 3 days on my new sidewinder this past weekend, unreal. You just cant get that feeling from a two stroke, had lots of two strokes, one turbo xm and rode the new 850 turbo doo this past weekend as well. Nothing comes close to this new sidewinder, the weight is an issue for so many people, but I just don't see how its that big of a deal with all that power and now in that chassis its unstoppable.

2Turnipsinheat

Reaction score
Have to agree that the sidewinder will make you forget about the 2 stroke pretty fast. lol. And I am super happy I never listened to most people when they questioned the weight. A few mods and your close enough to a turbo 2 stroker anyway. Cant wait to get back on er!

06 Dragon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting once the aftermarket or manufacturer get the boost turned up on the factory two stroke. I am sure that most of the sidewinders in the hills are running some type of reflash, as in the video.
I do enjoy my 4stroke Turbo, not a sidewinder, but still notice the weight difference over the two stroke turbo. Both are 174 x 3”.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks fun until its not. Basically the point that it comes half way over into an impossible stuck. You certainly will find out who your true friends are.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks fun until its not. Basically the point that it comes half way over into an impossible stuck. You certainly will find out who your true friends are.
does 50 pounds really add that much ?
I really really want to buy a brand new machine, and am not biased to any of the 3. But do you think these 4stroke yamahas are really that much more of a pita then a 2 stroke ??

2Turnipsinheat

Reaction score
I really really want to buy a brand new machine, and am not biased to any of the 3. But do you think these 4stroke yamahas are really that much more of a pita then a 2 stroke ??

Rode 2 stroke my whole life this is my first time on the sidewinder and I found you cant always get the answers you need this way. Best way is find a way to try it to out. Most answers I received told me not to spend the money but I'm so glad I did. Absolutely do not find it a pita getting unstuck compared to a 2 stroke. Everyone's different but it has been the funnest sled so far!

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode 2 stroke my whole life this is my first time on the sidewinder and I found you cant always get the answers you need this way. Best way is find a way to try it to out. Most answers I received told me not to spend the money but I'm so glad I did. Absolutely do not find it a pita getting unstuck compared to a 2 stroke. Everyone's different but it has been the funnest sled so far!

Thanks for the info brother !!!! I shant be afraid of a turbo Yamaha now, if the price is right !!! Theres a pimp one for sale in classifieds right now I wish I could pull the trigger on

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Depends on your riding style. a 4 stroke would be a "no go" where we ride. The 2 strokes are enough to manage. Buddy just picked up a Doo 2 stroke turbo and we are still not sure it will be staying long.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends on your riding style. a 4 stroke would be a "no go" where we ride. The 2 strokes are enough to manage. Buddy just picked up a Doo 2 stroke turbo and we are still not sure it will be staying long.
Do you have any video of this “ no go” riding you doo? Catman10 rides his winder everywhere we go and more. Are you riding in trees where you break off every branch on every tree?

jrusher

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its more than 50 lbs difference. More like 70-100 lbs.. Sidewinders hit the scale at around 640ish full of fuel I just weighed my viper before last trip with a bunch of light weight parts its 620 lbs ready to ride. That 70-100 lbs is huge when in tight trees and off camber inclines, you have to keep your momentum up so much more than a 2 stroke. I don't care how good they hide there weight the weight is still there. You have to work harder to get it to do what you want . Are they better than the old thumpers foresure night and day compared to the apex and nytros that ive owned. If you ride more open stuff meadows and places like the burn in eagles and point and shoot they are great and run forever.

Last edited:

2Turnipsinheat

Reaction score
Lol. I ride trees and its an absolute blast! Haven't been to the "no go" area yet but when I do I will report back. Also when I did my research I compared the weight to a my last 2 stroke turbo. After a few lightweight mods on the winder the comparison was close enough for me not to notice. Might have to dig deeper than the spec sheets. But still the best to formulate your own opinion by riding one period.:)

06yamahaapex

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
2D7163FD-FE8E-4719-AEBC-9BC17FD3EDF8.png
A good friend of mine just recently built this. 270hp hurricane tune.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[QUsOTE=06yamahaapex;2714848]View attachment 222080
A good friend of mine just recently built this. 270hp hurricane tune.[/QUOTE]
Seen that at Central Sled. Wicked sled. Has he had it out yet?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have any video of this “ no go” riding you doo? Catman10 rides his winder everywhere we go and more. Are you riding in trees where you break off every branch on every tree?

It's been too wet to video this season so far. Hopefully soon. Lets just say its uncomfortably steep and thick with trees. When it's like that you don't want extra baggage because if you mess up it's expensive.

bjd68

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
06yamahaapex;2714 A good friend of mine just recently built this. 270hp hurricane tune.[/QUOTE said:
awesome looking sled would love to see how it performs

Top Bottom