4 stoke mileage

sidehillgouger

Reaction score
Would 4500 kilometers be alot on a RX1 that the engine has never been touched. The rest of the sled looks good and it sounds alright but how much longer could you expect without work? BTW it is turboed since new. TIA

jeffg463

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good question. shouldn't you be able to expect a good 20,000 or so kliks without work? Being a 4 stroke, and given regular service, oil changes and the like, wouldn't one expect the same mileage of at least a motorbike?
I have a 4 stroke too (also turboed) so curious to see the responses from others.

Smokey1

Reaction score
I've got an 05 rx1 and I've read of guys well over 40k, the damn things dont even suggest adjusting the valves until 35k, I think 40-50k should be easy to achieve if it's well maintained. Now once you throw on a turbo who knows, but if your afr's are good I can't see why you can't get many more miles out of it.

JohnBoyTurbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That RX-1 should run forever. It's basically the R-1 streetbike engine. I have seen a few RX-1's with over 20,000km. Some boosted some not. So ride it, Do your regular maintenance on it, And enjoy the snow. :beer:

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Other than taking the engine apart, have a leak down test down. It will tell the shape that the engine is in. The prototype RX1, was still running, last I heard it had over 16,000kms. Yes all you haters. Seen it on kijiji last month, its getting long in the tooth. Still way better than walking.

SLY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A leak down test will confirm that the motor is sound. It checks for leakage past the rings and valves etc. Checked one for a guy with 6000k, turbo'd from new and all cyl's were under 5%. Over 12% I would say it's getting some wear and once it gets past 15 it's probably time for rings (I would do pistons also) and check all valves and seats. Solid motors, will outlast the rest of the sled.

sidehillgouger

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. Hes asking 9k for it so I think its worth taking a second look at it. is a leakdown test putting a compression guage on it, turn it over and see if it holds its compression?

overkill131313

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks for the replies. Hes asking 9k for it so I think its worth taking a second look at it. is a leakdown test putting a compression guage on it, turn it over and see if it holds its compression?

Nope that is a compression Test......a leak down test puts air into the cylinder through the spark plug hole and measureses the loss of air past the rings and valves... if you have a valve that stays open the air goes right out the intake or exhaust......a lot more acurate than a compression tester!

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fellow I met at whitecourt Poker rally 2 yrs had over 40,000 on his first yr RX-1 ,3 tracks and lots of runners and slides, but motors untouched. the bike with same motors get over 200,000 kms on them and are driven a lot harder.

Redturbo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Leak down tests take longer, the piston is brought to tdc, all valves are closed, air pressure is in let via the spark plug hole. Then watch the gauge, then listen for air leaks, out the intake, exhaust, or the crankcase breather.

Top Bottom