4.7L V8 mileage?

mikol

Reaction score
Hey there, i recently purchased a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. It has the 4.7 and is a five speed standard and seems to be running perfect. Ive put three tanks of fuel through it now and can barely scrape 400km's per tank,(98L) It has 160,000 km on it and i know the previous owner, it has been taken care of well but it did sit for the last month and a half. Just looking for suggestions and input, are all these motors just bad on fuel or is something not running right? As well if theres any bolt ons youve done that made a noticable difference. Thanks Alot for any input!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a heavy truck, with not a lot of power. Look in your glove box and see what gears you have. When my 03 was stock, and had 3:55 rear end, I got 26 mpg driving to Vancouver.
Now that I've modded it up, and have 4:56 rear end, I get about 16 if I drive nice.
Go to pick and pull, find an old mercury with an electric fan, and get rid of the clutch driven fan.
Put a cold air intake on, and free up the exhaust a little, and you should get a little better mileage. At the end of the day, driving nice is what will help the most.

Oh and my 03 is a regular cab auto with 2wd.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got the same truck but mine is an 03, gas mileage is pretty crappy towing my toys but seems ok when not towing. I've found that running good highway tires in the spring/summer/fall helps bring the mileage up. I get about 15-16 in the winter and about 12 when I tow, which is pretty crappy IMO. I put some lighter highway tires on it last summer and gas mileage was up over 18 mpg and 15 when towing. I added a CAI to mine but can't say that it has helped any in the mpg department but it does sound nice. My only suggestion other than the tires is to keep your foot out of the throttle and maintain your tire air pressures to recommended psi.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem quite enough. Should be able to get 550+ out of a 100 L tank I would think? I didn't think the 4.7 was that bad on gas compared to the 5.7? My 07 got around 15 mpg in the city and 17 on the highway without MDS, my 10 gets about 13 in the city and anywhere from 18-21 on the highway but the 10 has the MDS on it as well. I can squeeze almost 800 out of tank on the highway if I drive at 100 kph and take it easy on the hills.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem quite enough. Should be able to get 550+ out of a 100 L tank I would think? I didn't think the 4.7 was that bad on gas compared to the 5.7? My 07 got around 15 mpg in the city and 17 on the highway without MDS, my 10 gets about 13 in the city and anywhere from 18-21 on the highway but the 10 has the MDS on it as well. I can squeeze almost 800 out of tank on the highway if I drive at 100 kph and take it easy on the hills.

You gotta remember that the 4.7 received a power boost for 07.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gotta remember that the 4.7 received a power boost for 07.

I've had the hemi in both, never the 4.7 but had the 120 L tank in the 07, and the 105 L tank in the 10. Just doesn't seem right that he would be getting almost half the mileage, I'm not a throttle stomper by any stretch, drive more like grandma because I like my pricey tires on the truck not on the asphalt :), but still I would think you could pull 15 mpg out of the 4.7, unless the gears are way out. Not too many trucks in AB that have over a 4.0 ratio rear end though, so I was just assuming it would be stock 373's or 355s.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've had the hemi in both, never the 4.7 but had the 120 L tank in the 07, and the 105 L tank in the 10. Just doesn't seem right that he would be getting almost half the mileage, I'm not a throttle stomper by any stretch, drive more like grandma because I like my pricey tires on the truck not on the asphalt :), but still I would think you could pull 15 mpg out of the 4.7, unless the gears are way out. Not too many trucks in AB that have over a 4.0 ratio rear end though, so I was just assuming it would be stock 373's or 355s.

Ah ok.

rgashkei

Reaction score
We have an 02 durango, same engine with 230,000 kms on it. I have never got over 19MPG on a trip, usually get around 13-14 commuting daily with some highway miles. I do drive it pretty hard though.

AkNomad

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I could get better mileage if I kept my foot out of the throttle but I have a tough time doing so. My truck has the 355 axle ratio.

Top Bottom