$300 reward for anyone who can make this part!

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
not going into the back country will save a bummed trip, but riding around home to provide info wether your shaft is a good one or not before you go to the hills is sad. It will see more punishment on the way to the clemina cabin in the ungroomed whoops then all weekend in fields and ditches. Install the clamp to assist saving it either way and hope polaris steps up for once, waiting for warranties to go off and having to buy the fix kit to get a reliable sled kept me from owning one over the years. Unfortunatly all brands have their gremlins

Load is load no matter where you find it. If you have traction you have load simple as that. The end cap spins inside the shaft when it fails the drivers don't pound on the whoops and break the shaft. If I punch it from a dead stop and the skis lift to the sky I have as much load on that shaft as my stock engine is able to apply once the track is spinning at 40 mph in 2 feet of powder there will be less load then what I am giving it every time I stop and smash the throttle, thats when the clutches will be giving me the most mechanical advantage and applying the largest amount of torque on that shaft. When I am going 50 60 70 or 80mph down the trail bumps or no bumps there is only a small load on that shaft. I am willing to bet that every shaft that failed did so on acceleration or hard on the brakes.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Load is load no matter where you find it. If you have traction you have load simple as that. The end cap spins inside the shaft when it fails the drivers don't pound on the whoops and break the shaft. If I punch it from a dead stop and the skis lift to the sky I have as much load on that shaft as my stock engine is able to apply once the track is spinning at 40 mph in 2 feet of powder there will be less load then what I am giving it every time I stop and smash the throttle, thats when the clutches will be giving me the most mechanical advantage and applying the largest amount of torque on that shaft. When I am going 50 60 70 or 80mph down the trail bumps or no bumps there is only a small load on that shaft. I am willing to bet that every shaft that failed did so on acceleration or hard on the brakes.

what about when you come full bore off a drift or something and land on harder snow full bore? done this many of times by accident and i would think this would create the largest amount of stress and its hard to duplicate on the flatlands. unless the clutch shifting takes the brunt of the force i dont know?

like kelsey mentioned in another thread there is other forces at play here other than the shear torque on the end of the shaft.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
what about when you come full bore off a drift or something and land on harder snow full bore? done this many of times by accident and i would think this would create the largest amount of stress and its hard to duplicate on the flatlands. unless the clutch shifting takes the brunt of the force i dont know?

like kelsey mentioned in another thread there is other forces at play here other than the shear torque on the end of the shaft.
Of course your engine is putting out more horsepower here at home than it will be at altitude...

cs5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

That's the shock load factor I was talking about and you can do that at home for sure especially when you are trying :) No doubt there are other factors that put stress on that shaft but I don't think that's why the shaft is failing but what do I know. I'm stuck working and may not ride mine till Jan by then I'm sure something will be figured out lol.

trench

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where did you get the information about 2 years of testing? I have yet to see that anywhere, even the 2013 demos paraded around and ridden by potential customers had 2012 steel hydroformed shafts.

Thats not the info that the US riders on Snowest were posting, they said the test sleds had the 2013 drive shaft but were built in limited quantities for the test sleds. So who knows what changed when they started mass producing them.

FranktheTank

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where did you get the information about 2 years of testing? I have yet to see that anywhere, even the 2013 demos paraded around and ridden by potential customers had 2012 steel hydroformed shafts.

Where do you get your info from that tells you every 2013 demo had a 2012 driveshaft in it? Thank god these poos dont have more than 119hp otherwise driveshafts would be snapping left and right everywhere.:p

Dazzler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thats what happened to mine... I pushed it on day one with out fail and on day two hit a washout caught a little air and kaboom!!!!

nuggetau

Reaction score
OK guys, the cad drawing is done, I hope to see the finished product today. I will post photo's as soon as I have them.

I am not in this to make much money, so I need to order just what I can sell.

If you are interested in this product send me an email. We might be able to ship as early as mid week, no guarantee on that yet. I will not be taking actual orders or money until I have a product I can actually ship that day. When I can ship, I will make an add in the swap meet section.

My initial price point is $119 including shipping for one clamp. Buy 2 for $230. Dealer pricing when buying 10 or more(not set yet) will be an option.

Again, I am not taking orders, just trying to ascertain the demand! Please don't clutter the thread with replies here. Thanks

We will also be selling QD belt installation studs for $40 (plus shipping), compared to $65 from Polaris.

Email: husabergfe570@gmail.com
progress.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom