3" track trim

ReToddid

Reaction score
I trimmed about .4" off every other outside track and am very happy with the difference. Yesterday was 3-4' of barely get moving on the flat snow and I noticed a little improvement. Today's untracked had settled a bit and normally my 2.6" buds would outclimb me....not today. I outclimbed them!

also, had a new (80 mile) 3" to ride with today that was turning a clean 8300 and I outpulled him while only turning 8050. The 3" is great but on deep but thicker snow it just folds over too much and can even get sketchy on a critical side hill. I think this is the best of both worlds! Steel shaft, chain drive, lower gearing, and great for blower or mash potatoes.

good luck

ReTodd

Attachments

• IMG_5333.jpg
    IMG_5333.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I trimmed about .4" off every other outside track and am very happy with the difference. Yesterday was 3-4' of barely get moving on the flat snow and I noticed a little improvement. Today's untracked had settled a bit and normally my 2.6" buds would outclimb me....not today. I outclimbed them!

also, had a new (80 mile) 3" to ride with today that was turning a clean 8300 and I outpulled him while only turning 8050. The 3" is great but on deep but thicker snow it just folds over too much and can even get sketchy on a critical side hill. I think this is the best of both worlds! Steel shaft, chain drive, lower gearing, and great for blower or mash potatoes.

good luck

ReTodd

More detail on the exact mod please?

ippielb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
More detail on the exact mod please?
Sounds like he just cut the .4" off every second lug, on the outside, on either side. Cutting off the top would give the snow less leverage on the lugs and make them more rigid getting it to be more stiff allowing it to be able to dig into the stiffer snow instead of folding over. Since the ones that were left are still 3", that 1/2 of extra lug will fold over, and probably fold over more giving it move leverage to get lower then 2.6" like the rest of the lugs are cut to.

I can see where this mod is coming from. Not to mention some of the rotating mass that has been trimmed off. Probably lost a couple pounds of rubber

Last edited:

ReToddid

Reaction score
Sounds like he just cut the .4" off every second lug, on the outside, on either side. Cutting off the top would give the snow less leverage on the lugs and make them more rigid getting it to be more stiff allowing it to be able to dig into the stiffer snow instead of folding over. Since the ones that were left are still 3", that 1/2 of extra lug will fold over, and probably fold over more giving it move leverage to get lower then 2.6" like the rest of the lugs are cut to.

I can see where this mod is coming from. Not to mention some of the rotating mass that has been trimmed off. Probably lost a couple pounds of rubber

exactly....used a saws all...sharpened back of blade on grinder to act as knife. A few drops of oil and had my son hold a metal edged jig that was 2.6". Cuts through like butter!

Top Bottom