3" - Old vs New design

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just for those who dont know and are wondering what the diffrence really is.

Old design... full 16" wide paddles
IMAG0564.jpg

New Deisgn... 14 and change wide paddles
IMAG0563.jpg

Old design outter drive lugs
IMAG0566.jpg

New design outter drive lugs. You can use the old style drivers or arctic cat style. if using the old stlye you will need to trim every second as mention in previous threads.
IMAG0565.jpg

Review...

i find there is a clear diffrence between new and old. in the fluff the new design does perform better as the paddles are most definately a softer durometer. With the new design there is alot more snow build up in the tunnel, which is great for cooling, horible for the extra weight of ice/snow/water build up.

The old design performans better in heavy snow or hard pack conditions as it is a harder durometer. Tunnel stays clean and free of ice/snow/water, but cooling can be a issue if your not running scratchers on the trail.

my personal preference for now is still the old design for all around conditions as i ride form december to end of may.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any comment on icy conditions? I find my old style 3" was way better than my new style 2.5". I think this is because of the "nubs" at the top of the old style paddles.

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any comment on icy conditions? I find my old style 3" was way better than my new style 2.5". I think this is because of the "nubs" at the top of the old style paddles.

just to clarify both tracks are 3" tall lug height.

And yea i would agree that the old design was better for icy conditions. Those flat paddles just slip all over the place as well they fold over like a mofo.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't comment on the 3" but I like the old 2.5" way better. I dont think I would buy a new style 2.5"

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
nope me either. but lucky for us skidoo has sort of encorporated both. there are 2 nubs in each lug for those icy sections

The track on the xm seams to work nice. I don't got much time on it but I like it!

Top Bottom