3 inch vs 2.6

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol.. Less traction tracks makes a machine easier to handle, more spinning, less speed.. A bigger lug track with have more thrust, harder to maneuver and take less time to make the same line.. If that makes sense for you

I would love to hear a little more in depth explanation into your line of thought with this, but I don't imagine it would make a whole bunch of sense either.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lol.. Less traction tracks makes a machine easier to handle, more spinning, less speed.. A bigger lug track with have more thrust, harder to maneuver and take less time to make the same line.. If that makes sense for you

Total generalization. Only true on deep snow days, different situation on setup snow .

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Total generalization. Only true on deep snow days, different situation on setup snow .

i have to agree with Fred on this, used to ride a 2.5, but have been on a 3" the last 2 years. I find the 3" can be a handfull in the trees, if you stab the throttle without having a good line you end up in the trees as opposed to spinning and being able to work the sled over. The taller track grabs harder, even in bumper deep snow, and moves the sled much faster more easily. All you have to do is listen to 2 sleds take the same line through the trees... The 2.5" will be revving more and carry more track speed compared to the 3" that will be on and off the throttle but yet make the same line in less time due to more ground speed

pistoncontracting

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

So that's why the Doo is harder to handle... I guess in that regard it makes sense...

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 2.6 x 163. It is my track of choice and buddy has the 3" The 2.6 is easier (feels lighter and less work) to ride but the gearing of the 3" is noticeable and makes the sled easier on clutch belts. The 2.6" are better with a gear down of about 10%.

The 2.6 is wearing prematurely at the non-clipped track windows and this will be a serious topic next season. I am fully clipping mine. Not sure if the 3" will be doing the same.

+SLEDWRECKS+

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teth, were are you getting your clips from ? My 3" track is in the same condition after 1500 km, and looking to fix.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teth, were are you getting your clips from ? My 3" track is in the same condition after 1500 km, and looking to fix.

I can order them, about $130 per set to Calgary. There are many styles to choose from. I decide to go with the lightest option which will add about 2lbs to my sled.

Attachments

• 2016-04-19 09.55.58.jpg
    2016-04-19 09.55.58.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 329
Top Bottom