3/4-1 tonne-Which one

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thinking about buying a 3/4-1 tonne,lots in my price range but need some info.Looking for something 03 and newer,automatic,4x4,quad cab style.Gas or diesel doesn't matter that much to me because i don't have a 5th wheel so the truck wouldn't get a work out like it should if a diesel.Ford,Chevy,Dodge ...what year are some of the best trucks?I know every company has there bad years and would like to avoid then totally, so what are some of the best years to look at?

If anyone knows someone looking for a truck i have a 03 GMC Sierra 1500 Z71ext. cab,4x4 ,loaded except leather,new Toyo tires,5.3,white ext. grey int., 198,000kms

Transporter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heard good things about 05 or new ford v-10.Little hard on gas but so is the new diesel.

Rider38

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey welder I have a 2006 f250 sd fx4 pkg but extended cab for sale if you are interested

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My vote is for a LBZ Dmax 2500 if you don't have room for a dually otherwise a 3500 LBZ dually.

LBZ Dmax - 365hp, 650ftlbs torque, no DPF, Allison trany.

I think the only one I would avoid is a 6.0 Diesel Ford. I would have prefered a Ford but I wouldn't touch the 6.0.

I was on the fence re: gas or diesel when I bought mine, especially as when I bought it diesel was more expensive than gas. But the price of diesel is much steadier than gas and for most of the past year 6-15 cents less per litre. I figured at 6 cents cheaper and 20,000kms per year the diesel pays out in 4 years. I'm planning on keeping for 5-10yrs.

Attachments

• DMAX Info 1.txt
    669 bytes · Views: 58
  • DMAX Info 2.txt
    2.5 KB · Views: 49

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is a diesel a good move,for what i want to use it for,as i said it won't get any real hard workout, hauling only a sled deck and a smaller trailer.
I know i hear alot of guys say that a diesel has to work,it's not like a gas job

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
We are running a 08 Ford F350 with the 6.4 diesel. We are very, very happy with this rig so far. No cold weather starting issues or like. Good fuel mileage, I believe we averaged about 11 litres/100km with two sleds on the deck. We went with the F350 for carrying a sled deck and sleds. By the time you add every thing up it's close and we would rather be on the safe side. The 3/4 and 1 tonnes are not vehicles for running to the corner store with though. I'll second the staying away from the 6.0 Ford diesel as well.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Short runs with no load is hard on any engine. I use mine to commute to work which is 'bout 5kms one way. But it works hard on the weekend year round.

I pull a 6000lb travel trailer in the summer (about 6 trips a year but all to BC) and use a sled deck and pull a 10ft 2 place in the winter.

I don't really need a diesel for these loads; a 6.0 would do just fine. Really the 5.3 are putting out lots of hp these days. But if you intend to keep your vehicle for long term then the diesel is the cheaper option. Cheaper fuel costs, better gas mileage (20%-30%), and better re-sale value (especially with better than 160,000kms on the vehicle) all make it cheaper in the long run, especially if you put a lot of kms on.

Depends how long your going to keep it, I think. The Dmax has a 5yr 160,000km drive train warranty. I figured as long as it pay-out in less than 5yrs then go diesel. If the truck is a lemon at 5 years then get rid of it. But I think the Dmax/Ally has proven itself reliable.

@ 85 cents/ltr diesel and 95 cents/ltr gas and 10mpg for a gas engine and 12 mpg for a diesel rig the gas rig will cost 22cents/km and the diesel 17cents/km. @ 25,000kms/yr that will save you about $1400/yr in fuel.

Good Luck,

Shawn.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's been my experience with loaded 1500s & 2500s. I've had chev gas engines: 350, 5.3, 6.0, and 7.4. Loaded the 7.4 got the best gas mileage the rest I found to be gas hogs 6-8mpg. I was never too worried about unloaded mpg.

my Dmax cc lb 2500HD gets 20mpg on the highway empty, 10-15mpg empty in the city and 11-12mpg pulling my trailer. Usually 12. All US Gallons.

There is a lot of BS out there on fuel mileage but I think the Cummins is the MPG champ followed by the Dmax followed by both the 6.0 and 6.4 fords. My opinion, all 2500s.

Good luck,

Shawn

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 07 power wagon,gas engine as they do not come diesel.
Get 17 mpg empty and 10 to 11 pulling the toyhauler.

Have to consider oil change, fuel and air filters and type of driving you will do.
Some diesel filters get up there in price.

All models are good till they break..:eek:

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wish it was possible to just put a deck on the half ton...I know i hear it's impossible but other say different,so i dunno

Plus i'm thinking of somthing in that 03-05 area 15-$20,000 area if even possible,the more i think about it the less a diesel is the way to go for me.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wish it was possible to just put a deck on the half ton...I know i hear it's impossible but other say different,so i dunno

Plus i'm thinking of somthing in that 03-05 area 15-$20,000 area if even possible,the more i think about it the less a diesel is the way to go for me.

Yes, diesels in that price range will have higher kms but 02-03 should be in that range. One down side to diesels is they are more expansive to repair and trucks in that km/age range will need more maintenance.

Deck on a 1/2 ton? There are guys doing it but there are only a few half tons (regular cabs) that can do it and stay within the vehicle rating. My chev 5.3 1/2 only had 800lbs of load capacity with a full tank of gas and me in it. I think ford used to make a "heavy half" which might be able to do it.

Flatlander_01

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i run a 2008 6.4 ford diesel (horrible on fuel) just for sledding quading and camping i use to run gas jobs but things always change so you may not need a diesel now but look at your plans down the road before you buy so you only have to buy it once just my 2 cents. and definetly go one ton as d.o.t are starting to crack down on overloaded trucks.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will have my 03 GMC 3/4 ton Ex cab SB 6.0L 250000km for sale here shortly $ 7500. My brother has a 05 Ford full load V10 3/4 ton ex cab SB 150000 km $17500.00 For sale. If you are interested in ether.

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
are the Ford 6 liter's that bad...Is there a certain year that is better that others?I've heard if you start looking at 04-06 they are better than 03's

I also looked at a 04 Dodge 2500 diesel with 190,000km crew cab,loaded,long box....loved the truck but not sold on that long box,could pick that up for around $18,000

bigdaddy35

Reaction score
The Ford 6.0 powerstroke is underpowered with injector pump problems. The 99-05 v10 pushes spark plugs out of the head to a repair cost near $7grand.

If you're looking at Ford 3/4 or 1ton, the 7.3l is strong (1 get about 15mpg with 325,000km on the motor and 200,000km on the current transmission for my '00 F250, with regular maintenance).

The Duramax/allison is great. Don't know much about the cummins, but I've heard good things wor the 5.9L too.

Nothing drives my friends crazier than me passing them on a hill in their new gas 1/2 tons with my "tired" diesel all loaded up ;)

IMHO: figure out what you need today and plan for what you want tomorrow. I find it's better to have a little more truck than what I need for every day living because there are times I a bit need more.

jayson

Reaction score
I bought 05 dodge 3500 with the cummins and couldn't be happier. Prices of used diesels seemed to drop. If you change your own oil and change your own fuel filter for $16 compared to the 100 the dealer wants, a diesel is not that much more of an expense. A gas engine will not beat a diesel in economy or power.

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer long boxes; my last two trucks have been long boxes and no regrets. Ya it has a 1/4 mile turning raduis but I bought it to haul not park. If you have to do a lot of city driving then a short box is easier to park and they are usually better off road in most situations (spring riding up de-activated logging roads).

The long box also allows you to haul sleds on a deck and pull any trailer you want without hitch extansion.

Top Bottom