2022 Tundra

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Think toyota has something that can compete with domestics with the all new gen 3? I‘ve owned a couple gen 2s in the mix super reliable but indeed were a lot of antiquated 2007 design.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I sure wish Toyota would bring out an HD or 3500 version of the Tundra. I love mine but I fear moving away from the trusty 5.7L V8 for a twin turbo V6 will impact the reliability and lifespan.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Love how it's as large as my megacab, just wish it had a better motor :(

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half ton for wife, and Ya I’d agree on the motor it is a twin turbo 3.5 400hp, 480tq, suspect toyota quality would be ok but. It’s the same motor used in Lexus apparently, fuel tank is ok 122L.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The V6 twin turbo scares me a bit. My 2018 Tundra has been great so far as my 2008 Tundra was. The cranbrook dealer say Feb 2022 the trucks will arrive. I feel they will sell. I don't plan on buying one anytime soon but will certainly have a long look at them.

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coming to the party late IMO as the top 3 are all getting ready for their redesigns now so its easy to top what is already out.

I have nothing against Toyota but they definitely ride their reliability title from the 90s and buyers take a hit on everything else for that "title" and owners admit it.
The turbo will be interesting, although it's rarely the turbo system that causes issues in the boosted gas engines, usually some other overlooked part (as examples just because I've owned both, but ecoboost timing chain oiling or Subaru crank bearings)

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken a hit on either of my tundra's. Both have been extremely reliable. Very few repairs on both if any at all. Compared to a few friends that have the ford trucks and the constant in the shop for warranty repairs. My wife's 04 camry cost me under a grand for non wearable repairs with 325,000 kms on it.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't taken a hit on either of my tundra's. Both have been extremely reliable. Very few repairs on both if any at all. Compared to a few friends that have the ford trucks and the constant in the shop for warranty repairs. My wife's 04 camry cost me under a grand for non wearable repairs with 325,000 kms on it.
That’s how we ended up with a 2018 and a 2020, got tired of domestics in the shop. Neither have been in for anything but regular maintenance. resale on the 18 was very good. Only beef I’ve had is poor Mileage thinking 2L/100 more than an ecoboost.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s how we ended up with a 2018 and a 2020, got tired of domestics in the shop. Neither have been in for anything but regular maintenance. resale on the 18 was very good. Only beef I’ve had is poor Mileage thinking 2L/100 more than an ecoboost.
Totally agree about the fuel mileage. I don't even look anymore at what my truck gets. If it needs fuel I fill it up.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
Coming to the party late IMO as the top 3 are all getting ready for their redesigns now so its easy to top what is already out.

I have nothing against Toyota but they definitely ride their reliability title from the 90s and buyers take a hit on everything else for that "title" and owners admit it.
The turbo will be interesting, although it's rarely the turbo system that causes issues in the boosted gas engines, usually some other overlooked part (as examples just because I've owned both, but ecoboost timing chain oiling or Subaru crank bearings)
Yota reliability is not a wives- tale from the 90's my 2011 4runner was flawless for 240K km and so far my Tunda has required $2700 in maintenance over 2.5 years and 100k km - even then it was brake calipers/rotors/pads and had I caught the problem earlier would have been less than 1/2 the cost. As stated by others my only complaint is fuel economy on my 5.7L but even then it's no worse than my chevy 6L was and I'll gladly pay a few extra $$ every fill up to have the piece of mind my Tundra gives me. 2010 with 250K km and I expect 4 years from now I'll roll over the 500K mark.

Not sure I like the twin turbo V6 idea but I guess it's a wait and see.....

Frosty19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yota reliability is not a wives- tale from the 90's my 2011 4runner was flawless for 240K km and so far my Tunda has required $2700 in maintenance over 2.5 years and 100k km - even then it was brake calipers/rotors/pads and had I caught the problem earlier would have been less than 1/2 the cost. As stated by others my only complaint is fuel economy on my 5.7L but even then it's no worse than my chevy 6L was and I'll gladly pay a few extra $$ every fill up to have the piece of mind my Tundra gives me. 2010 with 250K km and I expect 4 years from now I'll roll over the 500K mark.

Not sure I like the twin turbo V6 idea but I guess it's a wait and see.....

I wasn't saying it's a wives tale. They became known for being reliable and still are, but they are lean on other features of the vehicle and people overlook it because it's reliable.
Just because I was recently in the mid size market, but the tacoma is the best selling in the segment but is continually rated the worst in terms of comfort, features, power and fuel mileage but best in reliability even with the rusted frame recall they are going through right now

Top Bottom