2021 Polaris

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Polaris did a good job addressing a few longstanding issues like their high gearing and crappy 3" track. The doo turbo is a killer sled but for guys that want to keep an extra $5k in their jeans the Axys is a great chassis in technical terrain and crosses tracks much better than any Doo.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BRP has done a great job with the turbo doo. I still like Axys chassis better. I think there will be some significant gains with clutching on the Doo turbo, so that will separate the gap even further.

That being said, my Mod polaris 850 on paper has a better power to weigh ratio than the skidoo Turbo. But, with all the mods, it costs just as much. Hopefully there will be a chance to really test these 2 head to head this weekend and see what the gap actually is.

we cant do that, if you beat me, the internet will break

PINandPRAY

Reaction score
Everyone: We want a factory 2 stroke turbo!

BRP: Here you go

Teth-Air: Not that one.....

The value just isn't their, well at least for me anyways but hat's off to doo for the progression. I'm in the market for a new machine but it will mostly likely be a left over 2020 cuz these prices are silly! and I'm speaking for all brands

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Axys is a side by side comparable sled to summit X. The Expert 165 vs the Axys 174 is close but i would have give the win to the Expert. Turbo, well we know the answer to that. Next year a 175 Expert, Polaris doesn't have anything to compete. To confirm, these are stock out of the crate sleds. I'm sure everyone can have a good time with how their buddie beats the expert with Axys or Alpha bla bla bla.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think Polaris did a good job addressing a few longstanding issues like their high gearing and crappy 3" track. The doo turbo is a killer sled but for guys that want to keep an extra $5k in their jeans the Axys is a great chassis in technical terrain and crosses tracks much better than any Doo.

Yes, well said. Although for some reason the 174 x 3" track on my sled has been outstanding when I really did not like the feel of the 3" on the AXYS 163. Not sure why but can only think that more lugs and footprint along with a different suspension make it work while the 850 has the power to spin it to get on edge.

PINandPRAY

Reaction score

Although I probably know the answer but has Polaris addressed the foot stirrups? My 16 axys has drug me down the mountain for the last time, luckily I've never been hurt.

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
BRP has done a great job with the turbo doo. I still like Axys chassis better. I think there will be some significant gains with clutching on the Doo turbo, so that will separate the gap even further.

That being said, my Mod polaris 850 on paper has a better power to weigh ratio than the skidoo Turbo. But, with all the mods, it costs just as much. Hopefully there will be a chance to really test these 2 head to head this weekend and see what the gap actually is.

I agree with you. I'm anti-Doo chassis but that turbo set up is awesome. A NA sled in tight trees where you can't get a big turbo to stretch its legs will do just as good if not better because it still has it's bottom end. But get in a little bit more open terrain and the turbo will walk all over it.

The Doo turbo should theoretically only lose a little bit of bottom end because of more clutch weight. If any turbo set up out there can compete with a NA in it's intended stomping ground it is the Doo.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Axys is a side by side comparable sled to summit X. The Expert 165 vs the Axys 174 is close but i would have give the win to the Expert. Turbo, well we know the answer to that. Next year a 175 Expert, Polaris doesn't have anything to compete. To confirm, these are stock out of the crate sleds. I'm sure everyone can have a good time with how their buddie beats the expert with Axys or Alpha bla bla bla.

My buddy rides a 165 Expert and I ride a 174 AXYS 850. The Expert is a good machine and works for him. Is it faster, no, does it climb higher, no. But it is more maneuverable steering around trees and rides softer. I would like those traits on the Polaris but would not give up the handling to get them.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although I probably know the answer but has Polaris addressed the foot stirrups? My 16 axys has drug me down the mountain for the last time, luckily I've never been hurt.
No idea on the Axys but they changed them a bit on the new chassis. Honestly there are fixes for it so if you haven't done anything about it that's on you. My boots didn't fit in the toeholds of my Alpha with BDX boards so I opened up the footwells before I had 3 days on the sled.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are you talking about? The Expert was put out to try and give advanced riders a machine that could compete with the AXYS in the gnarliest technical terrain. Polaris's direction is to lose another 5-6 lbs with the new Series 8 track and improve handling/ride even more with the Khaos shock package in order to stay ahead. The writing is on the wall to get the Matryx chassis in the mountain sleds next year to lose another 7 lbs. I praise BRP for losing 10 lbs off the hood as this is going in the right direction in the handling dept. The turbo idea is cool but the extra weight, shortened warranty and extra money is not worth it for most riding styles and locations.

so your saying they are going to take a trail chassis and put it in the mountain sleds? i wish i could find the post where you said that was not ok LOL.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My buddy rides a 165 Expert and I ride a 174 AXYS 850. The Expert is a good machine and works for him. Is it faster, no, does it climb higher, no. But it is more maneuverable steering around trees and rides softer. I would like those traits on the Polaris but would not give up the handling to get them.

Forgive me if I'm not reading your response correctly but it sounds to me like your saying your 174 AXYS is faster and climbs higher, making it better for straight up climbs in open bowls. While the 165 Expert is more maneuverable in the trees which makes it better suited for technical riding? :)

Trukker

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Axys in not a side by side idiot ..........

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, look at his handle. Poor fellas can't even spell Trucker correct. i would bet someone that dumb rides a sidewinder.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so your saying they are going to take a trail chassis and put it in the mountain sleds? i wish i could find the post where you said that was not ok LOL.

No basically they designed a mountain chassis and converted it to work on the trail so they limit stress on the chassis the first year in case of unforeseen failures. It is pretty obvious that that a chassis that is 5 inches narrower in the cockpit area is not something the trail riders are asking for. It might be terrible for wind protection. Same happened with AXYS, one year on the trails to see if flatlanders can break it before handing over to the wolves. Oh, did SkiDoo do it the other way around? Pity.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bahahaha

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    272 KB · Views: 280

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No basically they designed a mountain chassis and converted it to work on the trail so they limit stress on the chassis the first year in case of unforeseen failures. It is pretty obvious that that a chassis that is 5 inches narrower in the cockpit area is not something the trail riders are asking for. It might be terrible for wind protection. Same happened with AXYS, one year on the trails to see if flatlanders can break it before handing over to the wolves. Oh, did SkiDoo do it the other way around? Pity.

No, Gen4 was released Full bore into the mountain segment and trickled slowly into the trail segment.

Top Bottom