2019 HD ram - 1000 ft lbs

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Albertans hating on other Albertans for driving lifted trucks and their boats to the lake :confused: You leftist hippies won't be happy until we are all on welfare taking the bus to the food bank lmao

Remember, there taking the boat to a lake ......................................... in BC.

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The new ram has alluminum body panels............

Aluminum hoods and even fenders don’t really bother me. Front structural components and box should never be aluminum. Range Rover has had aluminum fenders, doors and hoods for years without issue. Even Honda minivans have aluminum front ends now. But my 2015 2500 and 2016 1500 have quite a while before they are done. I’ll keep them for another 7-8 years. Hopefully the aluminum trucks have been foregone by then

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I’ll bite here I have 2 “aluma dutys” what do you find to be the problem with them? Obviously you are a body man so you have some inside knowledge. I’m sure it requires unique tools and knowledge to fix. I will say for certain the exterior body panels are way more dent resistant than previous steel but I’m not sold on the box interior. As a matter of fact I don’t like it. I wish they would go the way of GM and go carbon fibre in the box. At what point do we stop trying things with emissions and fuel economy requirements rising yearly. I am sure that aluminum is not easy to work with compared to steel but how do you feel about the corrosion resistance factor? I'm not trying to argue with you just looking to understand.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/jalopni...he-worlds-first-carbon-fiber-b-1823434350/amp

Last edited:

Ballzdeep

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
080.jpg
562b846699d6f.jpeg

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I’ll bite here I have 2 “aluma dutys� what do you find to be the problem with them? Obviously you are a body man so you have some inside knowledge. I’m sure it requires unique tools and knowledge to fix. I will say for certain the exterior body panels are way more dent resistant than previous steel but I’m not sold on the box interior. As a matter of fact I don’t like it. I wish they would go the way of GM and go carbon fibre in the box. At what point do we stop trying things with emissions and fuel economy requirements rising yearly. I am sure that aluminum is not easy to work with compared to steel but how do you feel about the corrosion resistance factor? I'm not trying to argue with you just looking to understand.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/jalopni...he-worlds-first-carbon-fiber-b-1823434350/amp

There’s ups and downs to aluminum for sure. I’m a ford certified aluminum repair tech, and have had the trucks torn down pretty far. The biggest issues with them are that it’s not just regular aluminum. Aluminum isn’t strong enough when it’s that thin. The alloys that ford uses are NOT weldable. The metal anneals at a lower temp than it melts. Some specific components are weldable, only with a pulse transfer welder, and only at specific locations. The problem with this is that damage is not repairable. It’s all part replacement, and it’s expensive. Tear the running board out of the rocker and you are replacing both front and rear glass, the roof skin, the entire door aperture, and a section of the inner rocker. It’s a 20k repair. Drop a rock and crack the box floor and you are replacing a box, 8k repair. Steel, even uhss and boron can be welded and sectioned. Makes a much more serviceable vehicle, which I consider important on something like a truck.

That being said, there’s no other truck on the market that is as quiet or smooth. Aluminum is an insulator.

It’s tech that belongs in luxury vehicles and sports cars, not pickups.

My .02

busted2x

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do you feel about the corrosion resistance factor? I'm not trying to argue with you just looking to understand.

Aluminum corrodes just as fast as steel, it’s just white instead of brown. Galvanic corrosion is just as big of an issue as rust.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
how do you feel about the corrosion resistance factor? I'm not trying to argue with you just looking to understand.

Aluminum corrodes just as fast as steel, it’s just white instead of brown. Galvanic corrosion is just as big of an issue as rust.

Thanks for the input, always good to hear from a professional tradesman instead of the marketing dept... so you are suggesting to keep full collision coverage on then.. Lol

Top Bottom