2018 Clutch Covers

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
First of all, it was tough to get the CVT off initially on my '18. It fit real tight and there were a few curse words flying around. I have all the foam off the side panel, the foam and plastic pieces above the clutches are gone, the felt inside the CVT is gone, and I will be cutting 6" off the bottom of the CVT before I reinstall it.

On our '17's, we did the same thing (I also drilled a series of 1/2" holes in the top and the face of the CVT which I will probably do to my '18 also) and checked the belt deflection religiously. There is no way on the '18's that a guy can easily check the belt deflection without making some serious modifications.

Hotwheels81

Reaction score
My plan is to ride it thru break-in and monitor it, they have acknowledged they have a belt issue so if I burn one up in the first bit ill push for a warranty belt... I was shocked at how heavy the cover is tho and how hard the damn thing is to get back on, a guy could probably shave 2-3lbs off it... Not looking forward to changing the clickers if I gotta wrestle with it on the hill.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dealer had all that crap removed in pdi.

I cut that inch of plastic with foam on the bottom by the foot well off. The cover goes on easy.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
My plan is to ride it thru break-in and monitor it, they have acknowledged they have a belt issue so if I burn one up in the first bit ill push for a warranty belt... I was shocked at how heavy the cover is tho and how hard the damn thing is to get back on, a guy could probably shave 2-3lbs off it... Not looking forward to changing the clickers if I gotta wrestle with it on the hill.

do yourself a favour and take out all the foam and felt, it makes it way easier to take on and off and it will help breathe and allow for better air flow, also once you ride with it all in there the heat cycles make the foam harder to remove, it is of acoustics only.

SidewaysInto3rd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
do yourself a favour and take out all the foam and felt, it makes it way easier to take on and off and it will help breathe and allow for better air flow, also once you ride with it all in there the heat cycles make the foam harder to remove, it is of acoustics only.

but I like my sled to be quiet !!!!!

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgIzdvLOMvk&sns=em

https://youtu.be/DgIzdvLOMvk

thats how it’s done

personally I would not cut it like that, cut the 1 inch by 2-3 inch piece out where the small piece of foam is at the left foot well it will allow better Evacuation of heat, take out all foam and felt on both sides of engine and side doors, leave felt on under air box hood, replace right side door foam with metal tape where stock exhaust goes

jpmez69

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why is it that everyone has a need to break out the hole saw kit and blade? Just ride the 18's stock and see what happens! Heat build up or not, it has to be proven!

Big A

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Drunk? Stoned? or Trudope supporter?

Wow!!

Cmon, why do guys have to be ignorant like that, Brett is a fkn legend in this industry. I guarantee that old man has put more miles on sleds than you'll ever put on a pickup truck. Plus I guarantee he can out ride any of you keyboard shredders on here, Show some respect.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
V
First of all, it was tough to get the CVT off initially on my '18. It fit real tight and there were a few curse words flying around. I have all the foam off the side panel, the foam and plastic pieces above the clutches are gone, the felt inside the CVT is gone, and I will be cutting 6" off the bottom of the CVT before I reinstall it.

On our '17's, we did the same thing (I also drilled a series of 1/2" holes in the top and the face of the CVT which I will probably do to my '18 also) and checked the belt deflection religiously. There is no way on the '18's that a guy can easily check the belt deflection without making some serious modifications.
Try this.. https://youtu.be/pUDXHs5xKyk

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cmon, why do guys have to be ignorant like that, Brett is a fkn legend in this industry. I guarantee that old man has put more miles on sleds than you'll ever put on a pickup truck. Plus I guarantee he can out ride any of you keyboard shredders on here, Show some respect.
Thats because some folks think they are even bigger legends on this site but just haven't got that free ride yet from a manufacturer. When I think of back country legends in this industry I think of the Rasmussen's, the Burandt's and the Kuster's of the world.

kanedog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kanedog 2015-2019, thanks for the good times S&M!
I propose to compare 3 identical sleds, one with the COMPLETE plastic removed, one with the bottom cut off and one with no clutch cover mods. Then take a temp reading after a really long pull. This will put this issue to bed once and for all. I have a nice 1 mile steep pull in mind. Lets do this.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I removed all foam on clutch side panels. Going to have dealership take care of the recall, seen one failure already from the bolt issue.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I bought an 08 XPX and started modding the clutch cover on that sled and I haven't quit. So far, I have cut a decent amount off the bottom, removed the felt/foam, and cut off the little tab by the footwell. With the big hole in the centre I will wait and see what temps are like before I take the drill to the rest of it.

Top Bottom