Killer weather out on the coast this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160503/e840e2d38bf19c9224d793cb6629c029.jpg

Killer weather out on the coast this weekend

A knuckle buster reel....you must fish the coast a lot. Its the preferred reel for west coast fisherman in BC. You can alway's tell an American boat from a BC boat. American's prefer level wind reels and most outsider's that come out to the west coast use level wind also.
My boat is equip with both, the wife prefers knuckle buster, i'll use either or, but prefer level wind on sturgeon and knuckle buster on Halibut.
I'm looking forward to getting out there.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got two Scotty's manual down riggers

Just have to get some mounts to boat for them

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah my best friend lives in cambell river he's got the big 300k lifetimer and all the good gear never been skunked with him he knows how to land the big ones was good fishing for April / may June July is always a blood bath

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah my best friend lives in cambell river he's got the big 300k lifetimer and all the good gear never been skunked with him he knows how to land the big ones was good fishing for April / may June July is always a blood bath

Nice, both my daughter's are in Cambell river, so i spend time out there when i can also. Usually a week at a time, couple times a yr i haul the boat out there.

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a great town for sure hard to fish with the currents

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What mounts do I need, can't seem to find them

What model you have?
Most of Scotty common models all use the same mounts or a combination of mounts depending where and how your intending to use the rigger.
If you have a depthmaster or strongarm the 1010 mount is a good mount to use. Its bolted to the boat and the rigger can be removed and stowed away when not in use. You can set up multi mounting station and move the rigger around if you wan't also.
You can get pretty fancy with tilts and swivels also.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeff do you have a depth finder?
Downrigging blind is dangerous to you and your boat.
A rigger setup with a 10lb ball has enough power to cause alot of damage if you hangup solidly and you should always have a set of side cutters handy by the rigger in case of an emergency. Cutting a rigger cable is very dangerous when under alot of tension, so you need to be very careful if you have too.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure what version I have, but has 10 lb ball that came with them

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just make sure when you mount the down riggers that you also use a reinforcement plate under the gunnel. Aluminum, metal, heavy plywood which ever.
Being your boat is glass a down rigger will stress the mounting area a lot so you want to give it lots of extra support to carry the load.
A good place to mount the down rigger if you have a small (narrow) gunnel, is in the rear corner's using the gunnels and transom. Make your self a corner plate using 3/4" plywood, bolt into place and mount the down rigger to it. You still need to reinforce the under underside.

10lbs is more then plenty for large lake's, in fact i have used 5lbs. In most fishing situation's around here your only dropping 35-40ft, 10lbs work better at depth over 40-60ft. On the ocean i use 10lb and 15lbs for depth of 80ft. Heavy hardware is difficult to work with and i try to stay as light as possible.

Last edited:

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joel or Jeff can you tell me what the lake temps at and the debris situation my son wants to go camping this weekend thinking about making the trek the weather sucks here my house today

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last I heard mara was 69 deg f

No more stuff out there than normal, just have to watch for it

We will be out on Sunday fun day with joel also I'm sure

struglin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last I heard mara was 69 deg f

No more stuff out there than normal, just have to watch for it