2014 XM Rear Skid Collapsing

Mtdgt

Reaction score
Anyone else having rear skid problems on there 2014 x? I have now cranked the rear spring to position 5 and it is still collapsing. I had this problem in 2012 which turned out to be a shock, haven't pulled the shock yet but with only 950km on sled this shouldn't be an issue!

Sask Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Shock doesnt hold up the sled. The springs do. You should have "some" sag but it sounds pretty extreme. Make sure the end of the torsion spring is attached to the skid rail and that you torsion adjuster hasnt fallen off...then go claim warranty.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Make sure it's on level ground. It's always going to looked collapsed in the alpine or on Dolly's. It is supposed to have a couple inches of sag even on fla ground. The shock has nothin to do with the sag so put it on a concrete floor and let us know what happens. The shock supports no weight in the rear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
As Maxwell says Terry, put it flat on the floor and not on dollies. This has been an issue since the 08 XP and some notice it more than others. All of my sleds including the 08 have looked like they were sagging. I put in heavier springs on the 08 and didn't notice anything while riding and that has been the same in all the machines since. They look like they are sagging but it doesn't seem to effect the ride.......

With 950 kms, it appears like you are enjoying it so just keep it up and ride that beast!

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you want to stiffen it up you can move the two front mounting points back 3/4 inch.
Leave back alone.
Tighten front shock in skid a couple turns after .
Sag will be gone.

OOC ZigZag

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As Maxwell says Terry, put it flat on the floor and not on dollies. This has been an issue since the 08 XP and some notice it more than others. All of my sleds including the 08 have looked like they were sagging. I put in heavier springs on the 08 and didn't notice anything while riding and that has been the same in all the machines since. They look like they are sagging but it doesn't seem to effect the ride.......

With 950 kms, it appears like you are enjoying it so just keep it up and ride that beast!

Was out today with a buddy from Coaldale went out Corbin way. His 2013 he said seemed to have a weak shock. I checked the sag from the 2013 to the to 2014s we had there and minimal diff. 950kms sagin bad? How heavy is rider how much spring abuse smashing down pounded out trails? might need the heavy duty springs.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for the spring spacers for the rear, fit between the spring and the shaft they wrap around.

Mtdgt

Reaction score
I trade them in every year never had to go past 3 on spring setting till now. My weight hasn't changed, from last year. May have to take it in and have the dealer figure it out.

Mtdgt

Reaction score
Thanks Doug, "Happy New Year" see you in the hills!

Mtdgt

Reaction score
I tightened up front shock spring and was able to back off rear spring. Seems much better

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am looking for the spring spacers for the rear, fit between the spring and the shaft they wrap around.
my bud put those spacers on his, he is a big guy at about 270....the spring acted like a threaded nut as the suspension cycled and kept walking the bushings out until they were trashed. weird

twohillsboys

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my 2013 summit. I took out the old springs and put a set of springs in from a tundra. ( that's what grasslands dealer sold me) Just have to make a bushing to fill in the gap. I used black PVC pipe. I will try & get some pictures. I have it set on #1 setting in the springs. I seems to be working great so far. No sag at all now.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am 240 at the present without gear on and my suspension seems to work the way it should on spring setting 4 ..... is there somthing im not aware of that i should be? i have heard of guys useing "fat boy springs" ?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i am 240 at the present without gear on and my suspension seems to work the way it should on spring setting 4 ..... is there somthing im not aware of that i should be? i have heard of guys useing "fat boy springs" ?
if you are not bottoming out all the time I would say things are functioning as they should. in a couple years of riding your springs may soften and you might need the "fat kid" springs or just new stockers

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my bud put those spacers on his, he is a big guy at about 270....the spring acted like a threaded nut as the suspension cycled and kept walking the bushings out until they were trashed. weird

Good to know, I'm 260. Maybe fat boy springs will be the way to go then.

mountainsledmania

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do u ghet these fat boy springs? and are the just oem replacments or are these the springs peoiple are talking about where u have to midify a spcers to make them work?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
where do u ghet these fat boy springs? and are the just oem replacments or are these the springs peoiple are talking about where u have to midify a spcers to make them work?

talk to your dealer, believe they are off a two-up model.

Top Bottom