2014 Summit SP 800 154 project

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can sympathize with what you're saying, he didn't have to reply the way he did and i'd react the same way. That being said I would assume the process doesn't take 2 minutes and isn't just as easy as throwing something together quickly to send you for free. Seems like quite the headache for some cosmetic changes which could be potentially harmful structurally.

Yeah it's starting to seem like a bit of a headache. But that's why I'm starting now and not when I have my sled, lol. I'm so excited about getting a new sled and I do want some personal touches on it, adding some color is what I want to do so I'm pretty willing to do what I have to. Man I don't know how guys build those custom sleds from the ground up! Would be a LOT of work!

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not know that about anodizing. That's interesting. I'm learning a lot by going thru this process. There's a lot to know and learn that is for sure!

Paul was saying you had issues when you powder coated your spindles. I think I remember something about that too.

Do you know anyone in Calgary that does epoxy paint coatings for sled parts?!

I had a bunch of stuff anod and powdercoated on my 09. The spindles were bent after the first weekend. It's odd, how often does a spindle bend, let alone both and having not hit anything substantial. I chalked it up to the spindles being cast, not from billet. My rails have never bent. But other people have had PC parts fail. My experience was enough to not coat anything anymore.

As far as epoxy coatings, google would be my first stop.

sent from a top secret location

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let us know when your coming to Edmonton to pick it up. Really...Trent should arrange a parade but we know he won't.

Hahaha not sure about that but I might cry lol. Still have my old sled the guy I sold it to hasn't come to get it yet I know a tear will be shed when I say bye to that sled.

murrin

Reaction score
only thing on the left of the bars on an XM is the reverse and high beams in one switch, thumb and hand warmers are on the console. kill switch on the right.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't remember where to get quick clickers? Racers Edge?

Also, will I need an anti-stab kit for this bad boy?

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My local Doo dealer had the clickers on the shelf in the parts display area.

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Can't remember where to get quick clickers? Racers Edge?

Also, will I need an anti-stab kit for this bad boy?

I would think lots of vendors will have them at the sled show for a decent price. I picked up a set from TSS for $40 including a DVD... Hahah

Sent from my Shoe Phone

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No anti stab required. Clickers are available...everywhere. Used to love the motts machining ones can turn them by hand no tools required

Even with aftermarket rails? I will be putting Ice Age rails on it when I get it

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even with aftermarket rails? I will be putting Ice Age rails on it when I get it
Talk to Lance and Daryl Rowdy. They can set you up for quick clickers and answer your questions on the rail/anti stab dilemma.:beer:

pistonbroke800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if you will need an anti stab kit. I know a few guys running turbo doo's who don't need em. I ran ice age rails on my big bore for 4 years and never had an issue. That was running track ultra loose too. My '14 Turbo XM with 162X3 track I don't plan on using an anti stab kit

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
performance wise the best upgrade would be some better shocks.I wouldn't mess with the clutching its a waste of money!Unless you turbo or big bore the sled.put a can on it and a vent kit from brp to keep the snow out!the hard part might be to not smash it into a rock cause your out too early in the season!!!

kanders

Reaction score
I just came across this post regarding anodizing and a potential customers experience with my anodizing company (Anderson Anodizing). I am very disappointed that I do not check these posts more frequently to find out about possible misinformation or our inability to answer inquiries adequately. To Rowdy: I do receive email enquiries about anodizing on occasion but most come by phone. Since I type with one finger (this reply will take me 15 min lol) I will always give a very basic answer and suggest the person give me a phone call for further information. For someone asking about surface preparation, color selection, how the process works etc. even the phone answer can be lengthy. Being an "old guy" who prefers a telephone conversation or face to face meeting, I really dislike how an email can be taken many different ways depending on who is reading it. The reason we do not supply color samples is that there are many aluminum alloys available locally (1100, 6061, 6063, 5052, 7075, 2024 etc. with many more surface finishes (polished, mill finish, brushed, etc etc) and all will look slightly different. If I sent you a sample of 6061 that has been polished and you say WOW, looks great but then sent me a part that is 6063 and scuffed with a scotch brite pad, you will get it back and say we did a bad job anodizing because it doesn't look the same as the sample. Also, we don't have buckets of scrap aluminum of different alloys laying around, we anodize customers parts then send them back to the customer. I hope this helps to explain how this miscommunication occured, we work very hard to maintain our excellent reputation with our customers and I will always answer any questions a customer may have, just give us a call. Kevin Anderson-Anderson Anodizing.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just came across this post regarding anodizing and a potential customers experience with my anodizing company (Anderson Anodizing). I am very disappointed that I do not check these posts more frequently to find out about possible misinformation or our inability to answer inquiries adequately. To Rowdy: I do receive email enquiries about anodizing on occasion but most come by phone. Since I type with one finger (this reply will take me 15 min lol) I will always give a very basic answer and suggest the person give me a phone call for further information. For someone asking about surface preparation, color selection, how the process works etc. even the phone answer can be lengthy. Being an "old guy" who prefers a telephone conversation or face to face meeting, I really dislike how an email can be taken many different ways depending on who is reading it. The reason we do not supply color samples is that there are many aluminum alloys available locally (1100, 6061, 6063, 5052, 7075, 2024 etc. with many more surface finishes (polished, mill finish, brushed, etc etc) and all will look slightly different. If I sent you a sample of 6061 that has been polished and you say WOW, looks great but then sent me a part that is 6063 and scuffed with a scotch brite pad, you will get it back and say we did a bad job anodizing because it doesn't look the same as the sample. Also, we don't have buckets of scrap aluminum of different alloys laying around, we anodize customers parts then send them back to the customer. I hope this helps to explain how this miscommunication occured, we work very hard to maintain our excellent reputation with our customers and I will always answer any questions a customer may have, just give us a call. Kevin Anderson-Anderson Anodizing.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the message. I also prefer telephone or face to face but when most places are open the same hours I work, sometimes the fastest way to get things done is via the interwebs. During my process of trying to find this custom color, talking to paint suppliers, anodizers, powder coaters etc I've learned a lot. Primarily, that I knew nothing about any of that stuff. I had no idea different (and again I may not have the lingo) grades of aluminum would take differently to anodizing, that sand blasting could effect it, so soda blasting was better, color options are very limited the list goes on of what I did not know. I actually had the pleasure of going to a place here in Calgary and was able to see kind of how it was done and be explained more about it. They had offered to dip some aluminum for me so that I could get a color sample, but after everything he had explained I realized powder coating for my needs was my better option, even he agreed.

There's a reason you have a good name out there, and my ignorance and lack of information was primarily the reason I took your response negatively. Insert foot in mouth. My apologies and thanks again, and if I do need parts anodized I'll be sure to send them your way.

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On another note...I am well on my way with this project.

1383670_10153383131050111_125258711_n.jpg

Top Bottom