2014 Summit SP 800 154 project

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok...reading more of the XM threads. Roosterbuilt clutch kit is being added to the list. lol

Also, read some things about people changing out the suspension in the rear skid. Have there been reported problems with this?!

I changed out the skid on my turbo sled because I was having wheelie-ing problems. I've also got a bone stock XM 154 that the girlfriend rides. I jumped on that on Sunday and couldn't believe the difference in handling the T-motion brings, it was a blast to ride! I would say if you're not running big power stick with the stock skid.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't seem like it lacked, but if I can improve it off the hop, why not! Reading some threads it seems as though it improves the clutching pretty noticeably. Not to mention I've heard that ski-doo's stock clutching isn't the greatest. I think you even said that actually, lol.

Stock clutching since '12 has been improved. I actually like it after I rode it more. I felt it had shortcomings and for some people it still does. It tends to be a bit of a dog off the line. For climbing this isn't ideal. But in the trees I found it more manageable.

So without knowing what you don't like about the stock clutching it is very difficult to say it isn't good enough. Keep in mind many of these riders may not ride the same terrain as you, or they out weigh you by 50-100 pounds.

Don't discount the stock setup because that is something someone else has said. I always say clutching is very subjective. Sometimes you don't need to drop $400-500 on something because someone said so. BRP has come aways in the past few years with calibrations that are way ahead of where they were. Ask guys like Carl and even Rene what they don't like about the stock setup and even though they might notice the same thing, it doesn't mean they both want the same result.

sent from a top secret location

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stock clutching since '12 has been improved. I actually like it after I rode it more. I felt it had shortcomings and for some people it still does. It tends to be a bit of a dog off the line. For climbing this isn't ideal. But in the trees I found it more manageable.

So without knowing what you don't like about the stock clutching it is very difficult to say it isn't good enough. Keep in mind many of these riders may not ride the same terrain as you, or they out weigh you by 50-100 pounds.

Don't discount the stock setup because that is something someone else has said. I always say clutching is very subjective. Sometimes you don't need to drop $400-500 on something because someone said so. BRP has come aways in the past few years with calibrations that are way ahead of where they were. Ask guys like Carl and even Rene what they don't like about the stock setup and even though they might notice the same thing, it doesn't mean they both want the same result.

Makes sense. Clutching is like a foreign language to me, I have a hard time understanding it. I'll stick with stock, ride it and see what I like and/or don't like and purchase a Roosterbuilt if I feel it necessary.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like I said, it is nothing against Roosterbuilt, it is a good product. Their calibration works well. Many people are choosing their product over DJ. Lots of people still hype Joeys product as well. It's good too, he is a knowledgeable tuner when it comes to clutching and theory but sometimes people buy either product because someone says its better.

The average person who buys these products do so sometimes without knowing what more they want from their sled. Doesn't mean that product will even fix what they want if they don't know any better.

I just think you should ride the brand new sled for yourself and see what you want it to do better before spending money on something.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I noticed about anodizing, it is not that durable. scratches are inevitable.

And as for the powdercoating, I have my doubts on the integrity change, since they only heat up to 300 degrees, and to melt aluminum, you need 1100+ I think it's just bad luck when somebody spaghetti's their rails and blames the powdercoating.

Last edited:

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to mention no two pieces of aluminum take color the same due to the metal properties of various types and manufacturers of aluminum.

You can send two different pieces to an annodizer like billet drop brackets and rails and there is no guarantee they will come out the same. There will be variances. The finish alone can affect the color.

Powdercoating is about the most consistent per batch.

There is always epoxy paint coatings. That is what BRP uses on the tunnels and I believe on the rails now. The finish is fairly durable.

chromed

Reaction score
I have to say I am absolutely disappointed in Anderson Anodizing. I have been emailing him back and forth and he is not helpful and a little short to be honest. I asked if he would be able to mail a small piece of scrap aluminum in one of his colors just so I could see it in person as it's really hard to tell actual colors off of a picture on the net and he said "I do not offer that service". WTF?! I won't be going to him with any anodizing needs nor will I ever recommend him to anyone. Hopefully Ace Anodizing here in Calgary is more helpful and better to deal with.

Wow... A little harsh for exchanging some emails...

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to mention no two pieces of aluminum take color the same due to the metal properties of various types and manufacturers of aluminum.

You can send two different pieces to an annodizer like billet drop brackets and rails and there is no guarantee they will come out the same. There will be variances. The finish alone can affect the color.

Powdercoating is about the most consistent per batch.

There is always epoxy paint coatings. That is what BRP uses on the tunnels and I believe on the rails now. The finish is fairly durable.

I did not know that about anodizing. That's interesting. I'm learning a lot by going thru this process. There's a lot to know and learn that is for sure!

Paul was saying you had issues when you powder coated your spindles. I think I remember something about that too.

Do you know anyone in Calgary that does epoxy paint coatings for sled parts?!

chromed

Reaction score
I found his responses extremely rude and short. Not sure how me saying I won't be dealing with him or recommending him is harsh. Why would I recommend or deal with someone that was that way to me?! Like I stated I was disappointed as he did come recommended. So maybe I had higher expectations, who knows.

Sorry I don't feel the need to defend myself because of my post I stand by it. Thread back on topic.

Hard to tell emotion from a person when responding via email (for someone who is asking for a free sample)....

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
His responses came across as rude and short. Not sure how me saying I won't be dealing with him or recommending him is harsh. Why would I recommend or deal with someone that was that way to me?! Like I stated I was disappointed as he did come recommended. So maybe I had higher expectations, who knows.

Sorry I don't feel the need to defend myself because of my post I stand by it. Thread back on topic.

Then wtf do you call the previous paragraph? Lol

Last edited:

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then wtf do you the previous paragraph? Lol

ok I guess I do a little bit. lol. I'm not a b!tch, and don't want to come across as that, I just didn't know asking for a piece of scrap metal laying around was such a big deal. Guess it is. My bad!

chromed

Reaction score
ok I guess I do a little bit. lol. I'm not a b!tch, and don't want to come across as that, I just didn't know asking for a piece of scrap metal laying around was such a big deal. Guess it is. My bad!

That is not the bad part. Cutting down the company for not complying is harsh.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's what I am gathering. Powder coating has the potential to weaken rails and spindles. Anodizing only comes in certain colors and is hard to get pieces to match each other but does not weaken aluminum.

Is there any downside to epoxy painting sled parts? Anyone know where you can get that done?! I can see a downside on epoxy painting parts is that the color would get chipped away potentially. But I can't see it weakening aluminum. hmmmm

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So here's what I am gathering. Powder coating has the potential to weaken rails and spindles. Anodizing only comes in certain colors and is hard to get pieces to match each other but does not weaken aluminum.

Is there any downside to epoxy painting sled parts? Anyone know where you can get that done?! I can see a downside on epoxy painting parts is that the color would get chipped away potentially. But I can't see it weakening aluminum. hmmmm

the factory tunnel and rails are epoxy painted.

~Rowdy~

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the factory tunnel and rails are epoxy painted.

So then no risk of damage I'd have to assume by doing this.

So I would really need to find somewhere that can strip the existing paint, not sandblasting the aluminum tho because I have heard that can weaken aluminum. (Is that correct?) So acid dip is what I'd need to get done to get off the existing paint then epoxy paint to finish.

Any idea where to get this done!?

zed899

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can sympathize with what you're saying, he didn't have to reply the way he did and i'd react the same way. That being said I would assume the process doesn't take 2 minutes and isn't just as easy as throwing something together quickly to send you for free. Seems like quite the headache for some cosmetic changes which could be potentially harmful structurally.

Top Bottom